Bass brand "personalities"

i am curious about what brands/lines tend to be considered best for or associated with what genre of music? for example: fender jazz = funk, esp = metal, etc…?

i fully understand that you can play basically anything on basically anything, but i am just curious about ‘brand reputation.’ (also those examples might be off as i have no idea what i am talking about.)

9 Likes

Fender P Bass for everything. Next question lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

The funny thing is that that actually is true :slight_smile:

It will never be the best value, and it will often not be the best choice, but it will always work :rofl:

14 Likes

Funny, I would say the Fender J Bass for everything. Pretty sure a Jazz is more versatile. :wink: Any bass with double humbuckers would work too.

Schecter, Spector, ESP, Ibanez, Warwick, Charvel (maybe) are typical brands that you see often referred to for metal/rock. Also because they offer a wide range of double humbucker/soapbar configurations.

I think all the other brands target all type of genres equally.

4 Likes

Yep @Paul that’s the point. You can’t pin down a style to a brand.

2 Likes

I think it was Josh that said, “Nobody ever gets mad if you bring a P bass to a gig.”

7 Likes

Either him . . . or it was Gio that said it, @eric.kiser :rofl:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Jackson be like:

XD

4 Likes

:rofl:

Jackson guitars for sure! I even got a Jackson Misha Mansoor signature which I love. It seems to me their basses aren’t that popular but that is just my assumption. But it should defo be in the list (even more than Charvel).

2 Likes

StingRay (MM or Sterling): “I slap’a da’ bass. Flea rules.”
Fender P Bass: “I am a session guy and I might sit in with your band when I get a minute.”
Fender J Bass: “I am a session guy and I might be too good for your band.”
Fender PJ: “This was the first bass I bought but I still play it a lot.”
ESP tuned to Eb: “You know… St. Anger isn’t as bad as everyone says.”
Spector Eurpoean bolt-on: “I am the future of metal bass.”
Ibanez: “I wanted to steal a guitar, but I stole a bass by accident.”

:yum:

12 Likes

This is me :rofl: Technically it isn’t a Fender, but I think it still counts!

3 Likes

:rofl:

Damn - I’m a stereotype. :slight_smile: (although like @Mike_NL, not Fender)

Good list - too funny.

5 Likes

To be fair, though, the only famous bassist I can think of that plays a Jackson is David Ellefson, tbh. And his is the only signature bass on their site :eyes: It’s a little difficult to find others that play them due to the name.

3 Likes

Jackson Guitar or Bass: “I have excellent taste and enjoy the stylings of heavy metal music.”

3 Likes

If you were born in Japan you are only allowed to play Ibanez

2 Likes

Judging by local bands I would say Ibanez is more popular in the US, actually. Here it would be more ESP :rofl:

Lots use Ibanez and other Japanese brands too of course but ESP seems to be everywhere. Which kind of makes sense.

3 Likes

B.C. Rich: “I drink blood for breakfast.”

4 Likes