Bass brands worth lower price?

I think that with the RBX170 and the TRBX174EW you’re looking at two basses roughly in the same range. I haven’t played either but they look pretty similar to me. The 174EW is mahogany (vs basswood) and will probably have a deeper, darker tone than the RBX, but it will be subtle. Cosmetically it will be nicer (IMO) but really the RBX looks nice to me too. Both should be high quality entry level instruments.

Everything else being equal, you got the RBX for an incredible price already, I would go with that and then look down the line for an upgrade.

HOWEVER, I would also actually question why the RBX was so cheap. That seems too good to be true.

3 Likes

It was a gift to the guys Step son, and it sat in his room doing nothing for over a year. He priced it to sell fast, and it did, I saw it 12 min after he posted it. Others inquired as well, But He was, to my luck, only 5 min away, and he was available to meet right away.
Nice guy, didn’t seem like anything shady.

It never was set up, I will be doing that tonight.

@howard, thanks a lot. You are confirming what I thought. Although, I really, really, really love the look of this 174, I don’t know if that is enuf of a differenc for me to snatch it.

Of course I could easily sell the 170 for more then $40, but would I end up selling it, when it could be an alternate set up bass, any alternative, not chosen yet???

$170 for two like new Yamahas. Not bad, but do I want a bunch of entry levels ( especially if they are so similar, I mean. HB P bass and HB Jazz would be two entry levels, but be styles I don’t already have.

Darn it. Logic vs desire. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:
Which will win?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never seen one in a natural color like that. Weird. Maybe it was a prior version? Shape and hardware looks right but hard to say.

2 Likes

I think I am in love with this SR300

I DO LOVE ORANGE!!!

and I know I have really felt good playing every other SR300 I have picked up.

This is $219.00 at a GC across the country, and ships for only $24.

I am pretty sure it could be returned to the local GC, if it is not in the “Excellent Condition”. It is listed in, and only be out $24 for shipping.
Is that true of GC with used basses shipped across the states? I don’t see anything stating othwise?

I think this a step up in quality I am looking for.
Bottom end of the SR line, but the SR line is leaps and bounds ahead of the GEO (GSR) line, like my SR200 ( which I like, I just want o jump up a step, and get the hinder neck).

Plus, it’s orange. Not only is orange my favorite color, it’s my THEME.

How can I go wrong with this purchase?

Please let me know f you would have concerns.

2 Likes

The SR line is great, I love every SR I have picked up. Neck feels awesome to me.

2 Likes

I think I may pull the trigger on this one. I just want to double check the return policy. As long as it is what I think it is, I am gonna go for it.

That one looks a little different than the other 300’s I have seen, though. For one thing, the other SR300E’s I have seen have a 3-band EQ and a pickup switch. Are you sure that’s a 300?

You also might want to take a look at the SR500.

2 Likes

SR300, not SR300E.
I think the 300E is the 3band EQ
The 300 has
neck p/u vol.
bridge p/u vol
Tone
active pre-amp

I do not know for sure. I only think this to be true.

It is GC tho, and not a private seller, so if it’s not what I want when it gets here, I am ok to refund based on sold not as advertised

I found an orange 500, but private seller across the country, so I am taking his word, and whatever “Offer up” covers as far as guaranteed purchase. It’s $270, but if I don’t like it, it could be a hassle to get taken care of, or having to re-sell myself.

I don’t usually buy things like this online, unless it has a return policy as good as Amazon Prime

1 Like

BTW, my $40 RBX170.
I did a quick set up on it last night.

After a little more then 1/4 turn on the truss bar, I was able to set the action lower then I ever have before on a bass. Intonation to the 12th fret is good, but that’s as far as I got with that process, I still might end up selling this Bass. It is really cool, and I like that aspect of the Yamaha so far.

I am gonna look at the TRBX174EW on Friday. If he lets me do an assesment and quick set up on it, I may see how low can set it.
If I like it as well as I like this 170, I will probably offer him $100, and expect to pay $120, just because, even tho it’s on the lower side of basses, it feels like a keeper ( if it is as nice as the 170, which I expect it will) and then I will sell the 170 for a profit most likely, and keep the TRBX174 in the Family.

1 Like

Ok, some research tells me that Ibanez is an SR300. No 3band EQ, which is probably fine with me.

Edit: Made a decision. When they open, I will verify the 45 day satisfaction guarantee exists on this used bass when shipped.
If it does, I will place the order.

1 Like

Ok, so, since Guitar center is not open to the public, and shipping can be delayed, they have extended their return policy, ( that does apply to used basses shipped from another state across the country) from 45 days to 180 days.

Wow, not double, they quadrupled the time. :hugs:

So, I ordered it. 3-5 day shipping, but probably the weekend doesn’t count, but it should be here next week sometime. I am excited.

2 Likes