Bass Buzz Buzz

I just moved into an apartment that only has 2 wire AC outlets. Worse, the outlets aren’t polarized. Both sides are the exact same size. Not surprisingly, I get some buzz and some higher pitch noise when I touch the strings, even though the strings are coated. Maybe it would be worse if the strings weren’t coated. I only have a single bass.

The bass is an Ibinez 655E and the amp is a Fender Rumble 100 if that makes any difference. I’m on the 5th floor, so I probably can’t drive a copper stake into earth and connect that to the amp. Now what?

1 Like

Same living situation here. I am not recommending you do this, but I ran a ground wire from my air conditioner outlet and made my own common ground bus terminals in my office/hobby space; I then run a few 3-prong strips based on that.

My aircon already had an exposed ground terminal to use for this, plus I have the necessary background to be able to do this without killing myself. If you don’t, do not try this, especially if you aren’t comfortable turning off your place’s master breaker.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea. I’m an electrical engineer, so that won’t (or at least shouldn’t) be a problem.

2 Likes