Bass challenge

Anyone doing the 5 day bass challenge with John Liebman on Facebook ?

3 Likes

Nope, happily deleted my facebook account :slight_smile:

What is the challenge?

5 Likes

Not on Facebook, either.

4 Likes

No idea what it is yet. And I think my days on Facebook are numbered

5 Likes

Facebook has become a sh*tfest run by people with very questionable ethics IMO.
I deleted my account over 5 years ago and never looked back

6 Likes

I still have my Fakebook account, but have no idea of any John Leibman or a bass challenge.

3 Likes

I actually think it’s bad for humanity, along with twitter.

It turns out that since a large subset of people are predisposed to believe things they read without seriously questioning it, giving every village idiot a printing press might not have been the best plan after all.

6 Likes

I totally agree @howard

3 Likes

I saw it coming in the late 80s and into the 90s while I was working in print media (when journalism was credible and unbiased). The advent and rapid growth of the internet and blogging created a passel of wannabe journalists, and I saw the air begin to seep out of the legitimate print media field. Eventually, my media career ended after 25 years, and I went to law school to begin my second career, from which I retired in 2012.
MySpace, and then Facebook became my way of staying in touch with friends, family, and classmates who were scattered around the country and the world. I still use Facebook for that purpose, but it has become less attractive as it has been infested with more and more wannabe journalists with no idea what research or fact checking is.

7 Likes

Can you expand on this? Where do I find more about the challenge?

4 Likes

I think this is about Jon (without an “h”) Liebman of FBPO. The 5-Day Bass Challenge can be found here. It’s a private Facebook group though.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mike_NL!

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I joined the private group. Curious to see what this challenge entails.

3 Likes

My friend, a legendary Chicago doorman, great guy and new author Steve Silver had his account DELETED by fb for posting a meme that they decided was offensive. Not warned, not temporarily taken down. He lost all his contacts, his pictures, etc. As he pointed out the same week a public figure with tons of followers said on fb that a doctor should be beheaded. That account is still there. Last summer tons of my friends who were or are skinheads had their accounts shut down for a while. Turns out some genius at fb decided that being a skinhead makes you a racist (it doesn’t). Embarrassingly one of the guys they did it too was 1. Black and 2. in the Ska band the specials who have fought racism since they started in the 80s. So yes, I’m still on fb because I want to keep in touch with my friends. But Fuck Facebook.

4 Likes

Might as well plug him now. If anybody wants to know what it’s like to be a doorman of Chicago’s most infamous punk rock nightclub. And also friends with a Nobel prize winning nuclear physicist.

6 Likes

That looks really interesting @itsratso :+1:
Reckon I’ll be asking Santa for a copy for sure.
As for the beheading thing don’t even get me started. A good few years ago FB kept an actual beheading done by terrorists up on their site for 3-4 days if I remember correctly. There were 1000’s of reports made against it but they took their sweet time taking it down.
It seems you can have an opinion only if it suits them

3 Likes

Man you knew a super interesting cross section of folks. Working in the right bar at the right time will do that for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You have nooo idea :joy:

3 Likes

Oh I do, trust me, I worked in a very popular sports bar in college while Pro Wrestling was at its height :slight_smile:

While being an anarchist punk kid. It was an interesting experience.

If it’s the right bar, bars are just amazing places for this kind of thing.

4 Likes

It’s essentially a bass hang with tips. I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

I’m now very interested in one of his books, Bass Aerobics (Bass Aerobics - Pesquisa Google)

2 Likes