I live in the “northernmost” region of Italy, i.e. Cologne, Germany, and Christmas is a big deal here. We buy calendars with 24 doors (usually containing chocolate , or Haribo) and open a door every day until Christmas.
Since I cannot sing and just about play, I had the idea to try playing and singing along to a different song every day. To make it easier, I will look up the chords (I have a subscription for Ultimate Guitar Pro), and play root notes to start. I do not aim to learn the songs, my goal is to practice playing & singing at the same time.
I’ll try to update the list. The plus signs indicate how well the singing went for me.
- Smell’s Like Teen Spirit (A lesson by Josh!)
- Don’t Dream It’s Over by Crowded House +
- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (Audio) - Open that door to bass goodness.
- Today we travel with Toto to Africa! ++
- Bob Marley sings no woman, no cry on the first day it snowed here! +
- I hope you had a nice Saint Nicolas’ Day! If not, try to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life! +++
- Queen sings I want to Break Free, so we can go out there and have fun! ++
- On this winter’s day we go California Dreamin’ +
- Band Aid '84 - Do They Know It’s Chrismas (lyrics video)? +
- Alice Merton - No Roots - Tricky rhythm, great fun to play!
- We’re Smashing Pumpkins in 1979 ++
Happy 3rd Advent
- Police Helicopter - John Holt - A Reggae classic. Love the rhythm and the tone, though it’s tricky to sing along! o
- You Really Got Me - The Kinks
- White Christmas - Elvis Presley ++
- Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash +
- La Grange (2005 Remaster) – ZZ Top +
- Christmas With You - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash +++
- Du hast - Rammstein - Difficult to really stay in the groove and sing along, but fairly easy if you just want to hit the “Du hast” +
- Feliz Navidad - José Feliciano +++
- My Girl - The Temptations
- Sunrise - Norah Jones - A beautiful bass line, smooth and “easy” ++
- Stand by Me - Ben E. King - The bass line is easy to learn, the singing follows it - and yet it is hard for me to sing along!
- A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum - bit of walking bass, and a beautiful line it is
- Maria Tambíen - Khruangbin - Well, this one looks easy, but it’s tough to be so groovy +++
Merry Christmas! That’s it from me here. It was fun to pick a song a day and while my singing hasn’t improved really, my ear for pitch and figuring out lines has, so that’s good.