Bass Compressor Pedal

Hello everyone. I’ve been interested in bass pedals recently and I stumbled upon the mystical world of bass compression. To my untrained ears, bass sounds the same with and without compression. So can someone explain what a bass compressor pedal actually does? Thanks.

5 Likes

Hey @Mr_Bass_Player, not to sound too much like a cranky adult, but there IS a search function in this forum, which should help you get a lot of already existing information on a whole bunch of topics :smile:

So, just in case you weren’t aware of that! Maybe start with the “What exactly does a compressor do”. Otherwise, if you still have more questions after that, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people in here who know pretty much all there is to know about compressors :smile: (Hint: I am not really one of them!)

Cheers!

7 Likes

But there are one or two compression fetishists out there for sure :laughing:

6 Likes

Or three :grin:

6 Likes

9 Likes

@joergkutter I just love it when you do your “cranky adult” thing. It sends shivers up my spine.

8 Likes

:scream: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

BBB,
I think most of the people here know what a Compressor is and does. But if you need more info, go on Youtube and search Bass Compressors. You’ll find all you need to know.
I use a CompiQ-1 by Becos. At Just under $200. it’s a bit pricey, but it’s a great unit. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Compression is probably the most misunderstood and difficult to explain effects out there.

So, I’ll try and point you in the right direction to get some good answers. Specifically, Compressor Reviews (ovnilab.com). A lot of us have relied on this site.

Start here… Compressor and Audio Gear FAQ (ovnilab.com).

4 Likes