Bass DI’s…

Signal transformers range from cheap to very expensive. A Jensen transformer, like that found in the Radial JDI, is a premium component because it has a wide frequency response, and extraordinarily low harmonic distortion. Other high-end brands include Lundahl and Cinemag. You can get a cheapo transformer DI by the likes of e.g. Whirlwind, or a direct-import from Amazon, but the transformer’s frequency response and distortion figures won’t match those of a higher-shelf component.

In addition to the care taken in making a transformer, the materials used in them are costly (copper and nickel for the most part). Lastly, a quality DI is going to be built quite sturdy, with some heavy duty jacks, switches, and cases. All of this adds up!

6 Likes

Thanks for the info, I might have to have a look at one of these, might even clean my sound up, @soundman1402 ,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hey all! I’ve talked about DIs… Would you find value in a demo video? I have a few DIs I could demo for you all, and you can then hear sound qualities for yourself. In descending order of pedigree:

• A Designs REDDI
  • Radial JDI
  • Radial J48
  • Behringer active DI

As a control, I’ll include the direct out of my little Peavey Max 100 practice amp.

1 Like