Bass Fate

This didn’t need it’s own thread, but I’m excited so deal with it. Some of you will know that I recently picked up a used TBRX604 which I was super excited about. The strings were shot on it and the action was stupid high, so I brought it in for a setup. Turns out the action was that high to hide the fret buzz on the E string. My guy who I trust says it needs a fret leveling. So I spent a few hours super bummed that I would be returning the bass to Guitar Center. I had only gotten the used one because new ones are all backordered everywhere, especially in the Amber color that I love. Figured it would be a while before I could get my hands on a replacement…

Then a few hours later, I get an email alert from Sweetwater… TBRX604FM in Amber is back in stock!!! Brand new bass on the way, should be here Monday, used one on the way back to GC to unfortunately be someone else’s disappointment. It just feels meant to be that it got back in stock within hours of finding out mine has issues! Just thought I would share my luck and excitement.

11 Likes

Awesome!

5 Likes

Things always seem to work out if you let them

5 Likes

Can’t beat a happy ending :+1:

4 Likes

You can too :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

@howard Do you (or maybe did you at first) have any issues with accidentally tapping your E string into contact with the pickups on your TBRX604? It happens to me when I’m resting my thumb on the E string while playing higher strings. The pickups on this thing stick so far out of the body that it is close enough for me to tap it with the string inadvertently, resulting in a metronome type sounding click coming through the amp. I think it will be an easy adjustment of making sure I don’t lean the weight of my thumb in that direction. Just wondering if you had the same issue?

4 Likes

I think I already made the adjustment just by making sure my thumb when resting on the E string is anchored on both the string and the face of the pickup, which makes sure the two can’t touch each other because there is a part of my thumb between them. Easy adjustment and seems to get the job done.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve had students on any and every type of bass run into this issue. Hope some minor adjustments and relieving of pressure can fix it for you!

4 Likes

Good to hear. This is my fourth bass and first time having this issue, so it was easy to blame the bass at first, but once I figured out why it was happening, it was pretty easy to stop it from happening. If only all things with bass and in life could be that simple…

3 Likes

Could simply also be that the pickup is set too high :slight_smile:

My Warwick came with both the bridge and the pups screwed out to maximum height. It happens.

What you describe does not happen on my 604.

3 Likes

Thank you! They were set as high as they could go with lots of room to move them back. At first I thought I just had a bad way of anchoring on the E, but then I noticed that when aggressively plucking the E it was actually vibrating into the pickup and that shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks to your tip I checked the pickups and was able to set them down pretty significantly which seems to have solved the issue without sacrificing any tone. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Yay! :slight_smile:

3 Likes