Bass Goes to the Movies

Ohhhhh, I’ve heard about Sunshine, but haven’t worked up to watching it :joy:

@howard @Mike_NL @Barney Can I just mention that Ke Huy Quan was in one of the most important movies of the 1980s - The Goonies
(Also in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but people tend to be divided over that movie)

3 Likes

@kristine I never watched The Goonies… I do like Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom though. I think it’s a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, and neither should we.

@Ed thanks for posting The Comic Strip presents Bad News! I’m a big fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson, and of French and Saunders as well. I had completely forgotten about this one, so watching it again was great fun!

3 Likes

Run, don’t walk, to your TV and watch man!

3 Likes

@Mike_NL THERE’S STILL TIME (it’s a young Samwise Gamgee saving a New England town) Also, agreed about Temple of Doom and not taking ourselves too seriously :slight_smile:

@Ed I haven’t seen Bad News; it’s going on my list!

@John_E excellent advice :+1:

4 Likes

I meant we shouldn’t take that movie too seriously, but it applies to ourselves as well :grin:

3 Likes

Surprisingly good movie. I had low expectations and was blown away.

4 Likes

I have recently watched a documentary about Marcus Miller. I found out about it thanks to this forum (there is a separate topic about this specific title). Here is the link if anyone is fancy watching. Highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marcus-Miller/dp/B07T9VYQX3

Here is something that I have not watched yet. I just discovered it this last weekend, but based on the trailer it looks interesting.
It is “Beneath the Bassline”. Available to rent on Vimeo. I’ll leave the link here:

3 Likes

Ok, not sure if this is the best topic as this is not strictly a movie/documentary, but I’ll leave it here anyway :wink:

It is Marcus Miller Bass Clinic.
A bit of playing and a bit of talking. Defo worthwhile.

3 Likes

Hey, I will spend a lot of time on the planes over the next 2 weeks.
Are there any documentaries, series, or movies bass/music related that you can recommend and that can be watched offline (Netflix/APrime will work)?

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Spot the superheroes earlier in their careers :rofl:

(Captain Marvel and Superman in that scene, Captain America a bit earlier in the movie)

Also, a good cover of a song by Metric eith vocals by Brie Larson. Great movie all around.

4 Likes

Standing in the shadows of Motown

4 Likes

Recently watched An Ox’s Tale: The John Entwhistle Story. Incredibly informative, I think I found it on Qello. It gives a much deeper insight into just how influential he was on the instrument as a whole.

2 Likes

“The Quiet One”. A great documentary on the musical life of Bill Wyman with the Stones.

Bill and Charlie Watts made up one of the most solid rhythm sections in rock ‘n’ roll history.

Bill was a hobby historian and curator. He shot hundreds of personal photos and films of the band. The doc features many that have never been made public before.

1 Like

Not directly bass but certainly lots of Hooky. And the rest of Factory Records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywqvSYCIIUM

Really excellent background music throughout from Factory’s catalog, as you might imagine.

1 Like

Sadly, the Hacienda is now an apartment block. Still difficult to find the front door though…

1 Like

Yeah I saw a picture recently. I’m torn. On the one hand, predictable and sad. On the other, that would be an awesome address.

1 Like