Bass in cold weather?

I’ve been recording a music video with my bass for the past couple days and have taken in out in 30 degree and 35 degree weather. Is this going to be bad for it? Tia

2 Likes

Hi @Glitch! It’s been awhile.

This shouldn’t be problem. People have been taking instruments on the road for as long as there have been instruments and subjecting them to much worse. I wouldn’t expect this to hurt anything.

If you were going to play in the cold then the bass might need a truss rod adjustment after it has acclimated to the cold. And it might play a little off when it goes back into the warm till it has a chance to warm back up.

Are we going to get to see the video?

5 Likes

If I was going to play outdoors in 30F weather, I’d need a few “adjustments” for myself as well, Eric @eric.kiser . . . :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

But then again, I’d need to wear some gloves, too! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I went to an outdoor Blue Rodeo New Year’s Eve concert a few years ago and the temperature was -20°C (-4 °F).

I do not remember them wearing gloves while playing but I do remember a few patio heaters up on the stage, and a few more breaks than they would have normally taken. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My music area isn’t heated so the basses are in my cold attic with the rest of my computer equipment…my biggest worry is my hands. In the winter I have a huge problem with dry skin and it makes my hands crack despite gallons of lotion.

3 Likes

They filmed a video in the snow :joy:

(it’s from a video for a black metal cover of Miley Cyrus’ Wrecking Ball called Winter Ball)

3 Likes

Sure, I’ll post a youtube link when it’s done! (probably 3 weeks or so :slight_smile: )
Thanks!

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I hope you’re not getting lotion on your bass :wink:

3 Likes

Brave!

2 Likes

We have the opposite problem here.
Last week a 38 C temperature for a couple of days, yesterday 29 C but with a 72% humidity and today a pleasant 22 C and rain.

3 Likes

100 Degrees fahrenheit! Wow!

2 Likes

Nah, I put the lotion on just before bed but my hands hurt a LOT when I try to practice.

2 Likes

I somehow stumbled across this thread and I instantly thought about this video of Emerson, Lake & Palmer playing in cold weather. You can even see their breath.

1 Like