Bass Line Transcriptions

Hey all!

I had a real fun project come my way, and wanted to share about it, and - if anyone has some similar experience / projects to share, this can be the place for it.

A piano player buddy of mine learned the Wynton Kelly piano solo to Freddie Freeloader on the Miles Davis album, Kind Of Blue.
He asked me to play bass (remotely) for him.
So - I learned the Paul Chambers bass line behind the piano solo, recorded it and videoed it and sent it back to him.

The net result, for me, is 4 choruses transcribed of an absolutely gorgeous, super groovy walking bass line for a blues in Bb (with a weird Ab chord at the end - watch out for that).

Here’s the version I did in my notebook. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to make a nice .pdf with the chord symbols and all that.

Anyone else have some cool transcriptions? Things they want to transcribe? Treasure troves of transcriptions from the online ether? Share 'em here!

9 Likes

Hey @Gio,
Nice transcription, if you can email to me would like to give it a go, I don’t need chords or tab, I can read the music👍
b.s.excavations@bigpond.com
I have plenty of stuff transcribed and am happy to share as well.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Sweet, that’s awesome.
I would love a copy, but I can’t read the music yet, so I kind would need more then what is there.
If you get any other requests and end up doing it, then I will happily take one.

3 Likes

Hey @T_dub,
I can put tab on it for you if you want?
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

That would be awesome, thanks

3 Likes

When it get sent to me I will put tab on it and forward to you.
Send me your email address.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

That is awesome @Gio! Thank you for sharing it!

4 Likes

Hi @Gio,
Trying to work out your transcript, not sure hoW you have written the first bit, you have 7 bars on the first line?
First bar You go from b flat to f to g to e to b to a flat
Second bar g to g flat to f to e to g
Third bar you go b to d to g to f
Fourth bar b to f to g to b to a
Fifth bar a flat to g to d to c to b flat
Six bar b flat to a flat to g to g flat
Seventh bar f to b to d to f to b
Then into 4/4 bars e to g to b to c to c flat
Etc
Is this correct
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Cool, @Gio! I think a version with chord symbols would be helpful to learn what notes Paul Chambers chose to go with theses chords! Thanks!

4 Likes

Hang in there all! I’ll get the nice looking chart up here soon! Thanks for the interest. Sorry it’s taking a minute.

3 Likes

Ok @TNKA36, @T_dub, @joergkutter - here’s the nice file with TAB.
I have a video I’ll post soon as I can that can be helpful - it’s on upright though (definitely a fun line to play, @PamPurrs!).

@joergkutter - the coolest chord substitution / harmonization that I love in this is what Paul Chambers plays in the turnaround. He never plays a straight F to an Eb during the F7 to Eb7 turnaround bars. Almost every time he has a cool rhythm thing he does (quarter note to two eighths) and he plays this harmony instead:
| Cm7 F7 | Bbm7 Eb7 | Ab7…
And the way that Wynton Kelly plays off of that in the piano is so damn cool.

Like a behind the scenes look at a brilliant conversation.

Enjoy all, and holler if there are any questions.

4 Likes

Thank you @Gio. I printed it out and it’s on my music stand ready for me to start rehearsing. :guitar: :musical_note:

2 Likes

Truly, you are a Bad Ass Bass Gal.
Right on.

2 Likes

Apologies for the futzing with the computer at the beginning.

5 Likes

Challenge accepted!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks a lot, @gio! This’ll require some studying :smile:

2 Likes

Like the suit and the haircut - very George Clooney-y!!

Oh, and nice playing, too :grin:

4 Likes

Ha. I was trying to look classy jazz 1950s - my piano buddy is going to make an old-style video when he puts the piano part in.
George Clooney? I’ll take it!!

3 Likes

Thanks @Gio,
It looks great, I did a transcription from your hand written musical sheet.
I sent it to @T_dub, it was a little difficult to identify your writing but I enjoyed the opportunity to develop my transcribing to tab👍
I will upload for you to have a look and compare to original.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Mission accomplished with the suit and bass face/bopping :slight_smile:

3 Likes