Bass looping artists - do they exist?

I’m a big fan of Tash Sultana (below) which made me wonder if there are any similar artists but who loop/layer bass to produce one man band music, live?

I might have seen these guys here in the forum or somewhere else - who knows? Anyway, here is an example with a bass player using loops for all the non-vocal music:

5 Likes

Whoa that bass - 7-string? It’s gorgeous.

2 Likes

Damn, that’s great. Inspiring stuff. Think I’m gonna invest in some looping gear.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, almost forgot: here is one of my favorite bass players, Frans Vollink, playing his tune Tapatah. You can’t really see him use any looping gear here, but he plays a chordal structure for about the first 50 seconds, and then loops it and plays a melody and a solo on top. Beautiful, in any case (just a pity the clip stops a little abruptly…)

5 Likes

Cool @joergkutter!

1 Like

Wow, that’s a great subtle use of the looper. Beautiful.

I wish I were better with my looper pedal. They are actually kind of tricky to get the timing right on if you don’t have a drum track going. Or it could be that my time counting just sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Couple more Ailia X tracks, s’good stuff :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Adam Ben Ezra does some sublime stuff with his upright bass. This clip isn’t a digital loop piece but it’s a lovely introduction to his work (and his dog). He also plays with looping and drum machines.

5 Likes

With looper and effects.

4 Likes

Awesome!! And you just have got to love that dog… so cool, true to itself and in the moment :dog:

3 Likes

I know it’s a bit off topic, but you might enjoy this one as well:

3 Likes

It reminds me of JJ Cale - Clyde: “Misery loves company, and his old dog sings harmony. Tambourine tied to his tail. You can hear him moan, you can hear him wail”

2 Likes

Thanks @PeteP that dude is freaking awesome!

2 Likes

Some of my favourite music has a deceptive quality. Sounds simple but is deep and cleverly put together. Looping takes a very creative mind.

As they say; “It’s takes a lot of work to make it look that easy”.

4 Likes

Yeh I know I am late to this thread but felt I could contribute further with my experiences with a looper pedal.

I am always surprised more people do not use multi track looper pedals.

You must have heard of Ed Sheerhan, right
Here is a demo of what he does with a looper.

And if you take this one step further you can actually turn yourself into a multi track looper.
Watch this amazing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDHdBG_5ac

I talked to James Hill several years ago at one of his seminars and asked him how long it took him to put Billie Jean together. His answer was “approximately 7 months”. So patience is the thing to remember.
I decided a looper pedal was the way I wanted to go.

I just started Bass guitar a month ago but I have many many years with 6 string guitars.
What I used to do, in my Boss RC30 looper, was lay down a drum track, similar to what Ed Sheeran does in the above link, and then play a rhythm track on top of that, just playing chords, and then play around with ideas I had for adding solo riffs on a third track within the looper.

If you decide to purchase a looper just make sure you get one with multiple tracks and make sure it provides enough time to record all of those tracks. I picked the Boss RC30 because it has 99 individual tracks and a total recording time of 3 hours. It is not cheap.

Now granted in the examples above one example is a 6 string electric/acoustic and the other an electric/acoustic ukulele but I am sure you can apply these same principles to Bass.

2 Likes