Bass Mistakes That Are SLOWING You Down

Stop wasting time in the shed - shave years off your practice by avoiding these 5 common bass mistakes.

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, this lesson will be helpful at any point along the journey (and beyond).

There is nothing more strange than seeing a mockup of your own face in 50 years, I don’t particularly recommend it lol…

What mistake did you resonate with the most?

31 Likes

Not being fluent in basic theory hit home pretty hard @JoshFossgreen
Perhaps that’s a New Year’s resolution in the making. I will improve my understanding of theory!
Another cool video btw. Thank you

7 Likes

I confess to mistake #3!

Great video @JoshFossgreen, thanks.

6 Likes

Love the Scott Pilgrim clips :rofl:

I’m guilty of the noodling.

8 Likes

I’m with you there @PamPurrs

7 Likes

Mistake # 1 for sure. And definitely now that I finished B2B I’m lost what’s next.

8 Likes

Nice video as usual!
@JoshFossgreen, why do you play right handed being left handed?

7 Likes

I never found being left handed a particularly good reason to play a lefty instrument. I know someone people feel called to the lefty basses, but I figured I don’t know how to play it either way, might as well do the one that’s most readily available.

I’ve heard people talk about the possible benefits of having your dominant hand plucking vs. fretting and… I dunno, kinda sounds like hogwashy conjecture. Whatever works works!

18 Likes

That’s what I figured. Makes sense!

5 Likes

Thanks for this great video, @JoshFossgreen. It’s a really helpful roadmap for effective mistake correction, continuing education, and practicing. :+1:

4 Likes

Bang. Music theory. Still not really getting it after all this time. I’ll do what i knew i needed to do and go back to the modules. I apparently missed something there(again).

Playing too fast. If i find myself playing something that is boring or unappealing, i find i ramp the speed way up and fool around needlessly, so i guess random noodling, too?

Fact is, i found everything in the video applied to me, by a small or exaggerated factor.

Thank you, Josh. Yet again you bring the bass kung-fu!

5 Likes

Also i really, really think we need a Caption contest
For that age enhanced photo of Josh…

“I don’t always save humanity. but when i do, it’s with funky basslines.”

6 Likes

“Ask me one more time about the banana MFer”

8 Likes

I like it!

4 Likes

I’d love to have the 20 songs list posted here because I don’t have Spotify. :pleading_face: :smiley:

For me it’s definitely “going too fast too soon”, but all of the mistakes resonate with me on some level. Thanks for the entertainment, too!

Cheers
Antonio

8 Likes

Yeah if anything, I would guess the opposite!

2 Likes

This was GREAT!
@JoshFossgreen - Mistake #3
…what I notice about almost all tabs is that at some point in the tune they switch the fingering of the main groove/idea etc, almost to show you a different one in case you like it better or its easier, etc.
Is this a common known thing?
Because at first it got me very confused and made songs harder for no reason (as you point out here). Then I realized to just learn it the way I thought was easier, period.
But no one ever tells you this hidden thing!

4 Likes

Now you are fitting in around here a little better man.

14 Likes

One thing you need to look out for in tabs is that for some reason a lot of people feel like they need to avoid open strings - even if it leads to terrible fingerings - when in many cases they not only are more appropriate but also sound much better (i.e. pedals, drones, etc). I’ve corrected a few where the open string was not only easier but also sounded better and was the way the original artist played it.

6 Likes

still has hair tho

10 Likes