Bass Mistakes That Are SLOWING You Down

And he looks like me a bit without the head tatts of course :joy:

4 Likes

The nice thing is I’m not telling myself that I played guitar so I should be able to play bass. I’m starting from the beginning and trying to do it the correct way so I don’t learn any bad habits like I did with guitar.

6 Likes

Brian Cranston was one of my high school buddies.

8 Likes

Good points! I stand semi-corrected. I had not thought about those differences between guitar and bass playing (and I know you play both, so you have the experience). But still, I leave it up to each person to figure out what is best.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

I learned to play guitar at 14. I practiced hard and was playing rhythm guitar well by 16. Then I lost the fingertips of my left hand in an accident.

I had always dreamed of playing guitar from the time I was little, so I had a choice to make. Quitting wasn’t an option, so I either had to learn to play lefty, using my right hand to fret chords, or I had to retrain my left hand to work around the handicap.

I tried playing lefty, and my right hand was fine with chording, but I didn’t have the strumming dexterity and natural rhythm in my left hand that I’d had with my right. So I retrained my left hand to finger chords and play lines.

7 Likes

Yeah, I can see this being a problem. Proper strumming, especially of subsets of the strings, is harder than it looks.

I was really surprised when I discovered that rhythm guitar was a lot harder for me than playing lead lines/solo riffs/etc, which I am also not good at but at least can figure out as it’s at least similar to bass. You would think a bass player would have the rhythm part down but it’s a whole new set of skills for both right and left hand.

4 Likes

What I’ll probably look like in 50 years:

9 Likes

Yeah unless there’s a serious breakthrough in immortality, me too.

Dammit. Pop culture taught us we were all supposed to be made into vampires while young and pretty, back in the '90s. I want my money back.

5 Likes
3 Likes

There’s zero doubt. Except mine’ll be a small pile of ashes. Nice and tidy.

1 Like

I was really hoping this would gain some traction.

4 Likes

As a beginner it’s good to know about these mistakes so that I can try and avoid them. Great video!

5 Likes

Added Bass Mistakes That Are SLOWING You Down to Module 3 of the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

It’s good advice to have before getting into Module 4 and meeting Billie Jean.

9 Likes

20 Easy Bass Songs
List by Josh Fossgreen
Spotify: Spotify

Here’re the YouTube links:
1. Sunshine of Your Love – Cream
2. Otherside – Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Doing it to Death – Fred Wesley & The J.B’s
4. Dreams (2004 Remaster) – Fleetwood Mac
5. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 (2011 Remaster) – Pink Floyd
6. My Girl – The Temptations
7. Crazy – Gnarls Barkley
8. Crossfire – Stevie Ray Vaughan
9. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
10. Super Freak – Rick James
11. Psycho Killer – Talking Heads
12. All My Loving (2009 Remaster) – The Beatles
13. 21 Guns – Green Day
14. La Grange (2005 Remaster) – ZZ Top
15. Where is My Mind? – Pixies
16. Creep – Radio Head
17. Electric Feel – MGMT
18. Zombie – The Cranberries
19. Highway to Hell – AC/DC
20. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Mono version) – The Rolling Stones

10 Likes

Great video as per usual. And yes, the 50 year image thing is a bit scary isn’t it!

I definitely used to noodle, but I’ve managed to correct that now, by doing exactly what Josh mentions about the structure before even picking the bass up. It really does help think in advance of what it is I need to do, before picking the bass up and then having a crack. If I have nothing to focus on, then the noodling starts, but yeah, putting it at the bottom of the list is a great idea.

And, er, yeah, number 1. Um, and probably number 5 :smiley:

Half the time it’s recognising you’re making one of the mistakes, and then at least you can stop and address it.

Great stuff though, as always!

5 Likes

A few things.
First, this is a valuable and lovely video. It should be mentioned every time because quality like this shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Second: because of the thumbnail for this video, I was afraid that eyebrow raising was one of the things I was going to have to stop, and I’d sooner stop playing the bass. Good thing eyebrows weren’t targeted in this.

Third: Future Josh has seen some shit. I’m not sure where the world takes you @JoshFossgreen , but get ready. There’s a lot of experience and pain in those weathered, craggy, hunky features.

14 Likes

Wow, great video.

I am a compulsive noodler and my theory is not up to par. I can say that I was already working on 10 songs I could pick up and play decently from start to finish from memory. I’m at about… 5, I think? With 2 on deck? Summat like that.

Anyway, I have a request: if ever we get “official” Bass Buzz shirts, they all have to say “NOT JOSH” on them somewhere. Whadda ya think, @JoshFossgreen? :smiley:

9 Likes

Holy crap! That’s a great idea!

By the way @JoshFossgreen, my mom says you are a good looking man both young and old.

5 Likes

I too am attracted to old Josh.

No, that’s not what I came here to say!

I too am a noodler, but only a little.
I know not-enough theory too!
I’m working on my fingering.
Practice out those mistakes!

And lastly. I REALLY want a Not Josh B2B shirt! Why isn’t this happening yet!?
I picture it on the back, in what looks like black Sharpie.

7 Likes