Bass opinion

Just buy the Stingray and stop all this nonsense… Job done!!

3 Likes

Every bass has it’s own unique feel and sound. I have several brands at home and each one has different feel to it when I play. I don’t think quality is an issue for any premium brand? I mean if you buy a 100 dollar Harley Benton bass you can still have a “good” bass. For me it’s also having a bass from a brand that I really like (shape, colour, sound, etc.). At the moment I am more interested in German bass builders but in the past I was a complete Fender fanboi. For amps it’s the same story but here I do prefer American made amplifiers and cabinets.

If you feel like playing jazz, slap or blues I prefer a J bass but for rock or pick I usually go for a P or PJ bass. In the end it doesn’t really matter imo. I agree with Barney, just go for a bass that makes you want to play it every day! Good luck finding yours :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the talk guys!

What I got from all of this is that I have to try more basses to really feel them, instead of looking at pics and videos…
Another thing is that I was focused on finding my perfect and forever bass (and I’ve only been playing for 1 year)… but now I think that I have to keep on trying basses until we find each other, the moment will come and the click will happen at some time… or I’ll just have 5 or 10 different basses like so many others here! :joy: :joy: :joy:

8 Likes

And there is nothing wrong with having as many or as few as you like, you just have to choose what you want to play @Guto, that can be a challenge,
Cheers Brian.

6 Likes

@Paul Since you mentioned you are into German basses, have you seen Bite from Austria? https://bite.guitars
I love how one can configure a bass for those prices. No, I don’t have any ties to the company, I’m just Austrian. :wink:

5 Likes

Pretty cool. I like the headstock!

4 Likes

I’d go with Jazz Bass because I hate tuner placements on Stingray…why would anyone put just one tuner on the other side of the headstock???

2 Likes

@Noisembryo, i have Fender P , J and EBMM and i can tell you this,
the EBMM is very nicely balanced compared to the Fenders which are headstock heavy and always want to drop forward.
The EBMM is a lot heavier than the P Basses i have but similar in weight to my J bass.
Again it comes down to choice and feel.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Here is a picture showing the difference in headstock sizes.

Cheers Brian

7 Likes

I get the Fender headstock is iconic, but it can be a pita sometimes

2 Likes

I must admit, that is a bit odd, but as a 5 string player, I’m used to having tuning pegs on both sides of the headstock, so that wouldn’t bother me. FYI, the Ibanez fretless that I had also had 3 on one side and 2 on the other. My Yamaha BB735 (and the BB235 that I previously owned) have 4 on one side and 1 on the other.
Things like that don’t bother me. I would still choose the Ray over the Fender any day.

3 Likes

I think the Stingray headstock looks much better than the stock Fender ones.

I get that the Fender headstocks are iconic. IMO they are also the worst looking part of their product lines, across the board, except for the Aerodyne, where they at least went with a matching one.

They don’t look bad, just kind of vanilla, and lag behind their guitar bodies and necks, which look fantastic.

5 Likes

For the same reason that Fender basses have the distinctive shaped headstock - brand recognition. You can be sitting in the cheap seats and when you see that 3-1 tuner layout and teardrop shaped pick guard, you can reasonably assume that the bass player is using a MusicMan.

That being said, on more than one occasion I have been tuning my G string and wondering why nothing was happening before realizing that I was turning the D tuner. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Since we’re now debating headstocks, here’s my Yammie BB735. 4 pegs on one side. 1 on the other.

7 Likes

For headstocks, here’s one of my future Ibanez SRMS805, 2 & 3

4 Likes

@Wombat-metal that must be an Ibanez thing. My Ibanez fretless had that same 3 and 2 headstock configuration.

3 Likes

Yeah, Ibanez and Yamaha do this on a few models. The many Ibanez SR’s, the Yamaha TRBX 5’s, and TRB 5’s, RBX 5’s, etc.

4 Likes

Mine too,!

2 Likes

From a strict industrial design point of view it makes sense continue the tension of the strings in a straight line instead of creating additional forces in the neck and bridge in any other direction. This might be a marketing and branding decision but in a way it makes sense…

3 Likes

Yes. I like it, too. More daring than the bitten apple.

3 Likes