Bass opinion

Hello Everybody!

Out of curiosity, what’s your opinion on these 2 basses below?
I’m planning on upgrading mine and both of them kept my eye.
Also, all suggestions are welcome :wink:

Bass on!! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I’d go with the StingRay myself, mainly because it’s a fiver.

3 Likes

Well there’s lots of differences there, 4 string vs 5 string, J vs H, etc… I guess you need to decide which tone you want to go for next.

I’d gladly accept both, but if I had to choose only one then it would be the J, because a) I think it’s a bit more versatile, b) the neck is thinner, and c) I don’t need a 5th string right now.

9 Likes

Yeah, exactly because of the differences is that I can’t decide between them… Both of them have their qualities and (for me) their cons…

I also don’t have a NEED for a fiver right now, but I’m always curious for having one and how the low B would sound…

And the J is always a J, the quality speaks by itself…

And I can’t decide or buy them both lol

7 Likes

Well you could also go for a Squier and a Sterling, and buy both for the price of one of the two above… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The thing is that I already have a sterling, and as a next steps I would like to have a Fender or MM, for top quality build, necks and pickups…

4 Likes

I’d go with the Professional II Jazz because of significant improvements over the previous models, particularly the sculpted neck heel . . . :slight_smile:

It also has a hi-mass bridge that allows either a through-the-body or a top-mount string placement.

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Well if I already had a Sterling then that would be the 4th reason to go for the J next

Edit: why am I starting all my comments with “well”

6 Likes

Yeah!!! That’s another thing, the trough the body bridge!! I’m crazy about trying one of these!

5 Likes

But when I buy the next one I won’t have the sterling anymore… I’ll need to sell it first…

:sob:

5 Likes

Forgot to say it before, but I always had the preference for active basses… I like the option of having the settings for the music I’m playing at the reach of my hand…

4 Likes

From all the reviews and opinions I’ve read about the bridge so far, everyone seems to agree that there is little to no difference in tone between string placements . . . :thinking:

In fact, we have a topic on this right here:

But then again, like so many other things, it’s all subjective . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Im going to read that topic, Thanks Joe!

I’ve seen a video once that there’s no change in tone (open to opinions, like you said) but there’s a change in sustain and body vibration (the feeling of ressonance)…
Have you seen anything in this line?

5 Likes

Through the body is supposed to increase sustain, but I have not read any comments or opinions to back that up . . . (so far, that is :wink: )

The best thing to do is to actually try out one of these new Jazz basses in person. I’m going to be looking for a chance to do just that myself.

Good luck in your own research! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Check this out!

5 Likes

I think you answered your own question @Guto,
If you don’t need a 5er, buy the 4 or if you cant decide get both, the low B will be like watching Marty Mcfly in back to the future, it will blow you across the room.
Hope that helps,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@TNKA36 I think you should know, there’s another bloke, also by the name of Brian who also lives in Melbourne, using your profile photo. His handle is B.S. Excavations or some such thing.

Just thought I’d bring it to your attention.

3 Likes

Between those two personally I would absolutely go for the stingray there (if it were a four string, for me). But that’s because I like the stingray sound a lot, and I like big fat humbucker pickups much more than J pickups for tone. If you like the J tone more then obviously mileage would vary.

I’d actually go with an Ibanez premium, ESP custom/Edwards line, or premium Yamaha over either of them, but that’s also more about the kinds of basses I like.

2 Likes

What would make you choose one of these before the MM, @howard?

3 Likes

They are much less expensive, equal or higher quality, and more versatile. Plus I happen to love their feel and sound, especially the Ibanez and Yamahas.

I’m not a believer in the elevation of Fender or EBMM above other manufacturers. They were first but that does not make them the best or even better choice. And current MIJ quality is as good or better than MIA for musical instruments in my opinion, with Indonesia actually being up there too.

I could see buying the 'ray because they are cool and unique. They are also pretty molded into the Stingray sound. If you like that (and I do, a lot) it’s a good choice. But you need to go in realizing that that is its tone and it doesn’t stray all that far from it. Which is fine if that’s what you are looking for - and it is certainly a great sound.

Honestly though, when it comes down to it, I would rather own my current Yamaha TRBX604 (or the equivalent level BB, the BB734A) than any Fender bass, regardless of price. Personal preference for feel, style, tone, and versatility. And these are not even the high end Yamahas, they are Indonesia production models.

I do admit to being tempted by some P-basses though :slight_smile:

4 Likes