Bass players dissed?

Please leave the politics out of replies but did Neil Young just dis bass players when he told President Trump in a tweet " Perhaps you could have been a bass player and played in a rock and roll band. That way you could be on stage at a rally every night in front of your fans, if you were any good…"? I know you can’t be sure about sarcasim in the written word but it sure seems to be dripping and at bass players expense. Maybe some group might want to rewrite the lyrics to one of their songs…" I hope Neil Young will remember, a bass player don’t need him around anyhow"

4 Likes

I agree with @peterhuppertz… we all have to maintain thick skins and let crap like that roll off us like water off a duck’s back.

7 Likes

I agree with @PamPurrs & @peterhuppertz
Jamie

6 Likes

I’m just saying in his taking himself too seriously it’s odd that he had to apparently take a backhanded swipe at members of his own profession. All he had to do was say he doesn’t approve of the use of his songs, ask he stop, and if not, hire a lawyer… if he thinks he has any grounds…it’s amazing how much press and free publicity he’s getting out of this (but maybe that was the intent)…I mean unless they are playing live at a rally, I don’t see how anybody would take playing a recorded song as an endorsement by the artist. I thought everybody would get the tone of the post with the part about not needing him around anyhow…heck I can’t be indignant I can hardly play a bass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is no intellectual property law that prevents President Trump from playing whatever music he wants as long as he’s not charging for it. That would be like saying you can’t play music at a party.
With that said, Neil Young has as much right to his disdain of Trump as I do of my support of him, but he has no power over what he plays at a rally.
I let things like this give me a chuckle and then move on. We all should.

4 Likes

I vaguely recall this being discussed in my IP classes while in Paralegal college, and the bottom line is the artist cannot prevent anyone from playing their music as long as it’s not monitized.

2 Likes

Wow you say let’s leave politics out of it and then go right to making an assumption of my politics and or motives based on the state I live in. If you read my posts I gave him every right to say he doesn’t support him. So far no artist that I know of has successfully sued him over this issue…I’d be surprised if any would waste their money trying. While he may have made a career out of music, I don’t think he has any more right to say what anybody plays at a rally than the architect of his mansion can tell him what music he can and can not play in it. I wonder if ole Neil ever played a cover and didn’t ask permission and or pay??? For your information I believe we should re-elect no politician year after year, decade after decade and I have no party affiliation.

2 Likes

I love Ted Nugent. His commentaries are so damn humorous and always on point!

Thanks for bringing him up!

3 Likes

We don’t discuss politics here

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen needs to put a stop to this thread quick!

5 Likes

You’re right. It was a fine topic until one person decided to turn it into a political thread.

4 Likes

Until he tries to use a song as a campaign theme song I doubt they have a case for simply playing it. Key word being ‘license’ not ‘play’ at. There are laws, and then there are bad laws that get changed, like say Jim Crow. Maybe what we need is for certain other bad laws to change. Or maybe in the interest of income inequality EVERYBODY should get paid the same…WAY. Doctor saves your life…he gets paid a monthly payment as long as you breath. Somebody fixes your homes air conditioning, they get paid every time you turn it on and can tell you who can and can’t enjoy it’s benifits. Artists (and their heirs) who sell paintings should collect down through the generations no matter how many times the work changes hands. Or… maybe there should be some sort of time limit on royalties, just like patents that run out. I wonder what various performing artists would say to having to keep paying a dentist who whitened or fixed their teeth, after all the artist is using that to make money. Same for plastic surgeons. You see the point? “Hey honey did you pay the auto mechanic this month ?” “Damn, I forgot to pay the plumber.” And please don’t start me on ascam…I worked at a Mexican bar/resturant which had a juke box that was leased. An ascap shakedown artist tried to make the bar owner pay ascap for the music (it is the responsibility of the juke box leasing company…and really does anybody put a pay to play machine in their home?). He threatened the owner with all kinds of stuff including closing his establishment down. I told that con artist to have their lawyer contact my boss and then he’d get referred to his lawyer. Strangest thing, we never saw him or heard from any lawyer. Wonder how many people have fallen for that? By the way just because something is a law, doesn’t mean it is right, fair or just.

2 Likes

Pam, glad you like ole Ted…he can be a hoot. I hope you weren’t inferring I made it political…I may be an opinionated sob, but I hate everybody equally…everybody who is a liar, cheat, thief, or purposely ignorant…other than that I pretty much get along. You went to flats what range did you go to? I had a heck of a time finding flats in Tucson. Not nuts about getting stuff via ‘see how much we can crush the small package’ deliveries. nothing says disappointment like opening a package of $45 strings to find them kinked. Had to go with Diadarios 50 -105 on my MIM P …to me with a lowering of the action to as low as we could go I found everything easier and faster. I wanted the LaBellas that I think are 52ish to 105 but worried about the nut needing opening up on the G and I wasn’t about to go up to 110 on the E on the bridge cable set… I’m looking at old school sound and bass lines…sacrilege I know, but so many bass players today …Flea…just seem to flail random notes together to show off…much like those players of the little things with 6 strings :slight_smile: Due to working mans fingers (and a lack of look at me syndrone) I am dumping my Tele as it is rather frustrating. Can’t imagine a Uke unless I could play something with my index finger being a mobile capo for an all open string (on a capo) song. Yep a kid on a toy piano playing chop sticks…that would get em dancing…somewheres else

2 Likes

My flats are LaBella Deep Talking Bass

4 Likes

Which ones did you get? there’s a couple of different ranges with the e being `105 on some and 110 on the other plus I think there is one set lighter. I’m gonna have to get used to on line/mail order as I’m moving and it will be hours to a big enough town for a GC. Here if the delivery isn’t abused when it gets here, the dogs will try and kill it if it’s dropped over the gate and if they leave it on the ground outside the gate the dogs will attempt to anodize the package gold if you get my drift. New house deliveries came be made to the front door which the dogs have no access to. Anyway was wondering if you had to open up the nut and if you had problems with the silk. On my P the DiaDarios 50-105’s, the silk on the E just makes it to the bend on the tuner which probably means if I were in a hotter climate I might have a metal to metal problem and thus be prone to breakage

1 Like

Mine are .045 .065 .085 .105 and .128. They sound great.

I took them off however, and now have tape wounds on both my basses.

1 Like

so since you went from metal flats right to tapes…do the tapes provide more traction than the flats or are they just as slippery? I’m sure there are more musical descriptions but you know how it is being in a ‘deep red state’…limited vocabulary and all :slight_smile: Trying to decide what to put on my Squire 5 J…not sure how much I’ll use that puppy as I haven’t really had the time to get to be 1/2 BA on the 4

2 Likes

@rt66az being that we both live in the same “deep red state” LOL, I think we speak the same language…

Tapes are every bit as silky smooth as flats, just a bit of a duller, thudier tone (if that makes sense). tapes also last longer.

1 Like