Bass Plucking Advice

This is me sloppily playing The Guns of Brixton by The Clash.
https://youtu.be/4vEHO5bB-e4
As you can hear, I’m having a bit of trouble with my plucking. Any advice?

5 Likes

I will say the same thing that I say every time. It takes hours and hours of dedicated practice. This doesn’t happen over night.
Practice
Practice
Practice
If you want to post a video of your plucking, we may be able to offer some tips. In the absence of that, just keep practicing. Keep taking the B2B course. Just keep going!

5 Likes

Thanks for the motivation. For now, I’m forced to use my fingers but I’ve ordered a set of picks and they should be arriving soon, so hopefully I can improve my plucking by using a pick, considering that the original is played with a pick.

5 Likes

Playing with a pick is a whole new challenge, just sayin’

6 Likes

Hahah, yeah. I’m probably falling into a trap by using a pick but I’m sure I can learn to use one. After all, I was able to learn 7 songs in 24 hours :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m using a pick for a few tunes and it’s a different game as @PamPurrs has said.
Not any witchcraftery involved but different.

4 Likes

Hail @Mr_Bass_Player -

Try playing at this tempo.
Slow playing is crucial.
Try and make sure you can nail the sound and the physical movements at slow tempo before you try and match the album tempo.

Another way to say the same thing - do not sacrifice your accuracy and technique in trying to get something up to tempo. You’ll build bad habits that way! Go for sound first, then build to tempo.

5 Likes

I never thought I’d get a reply from you heheh. Thanks for the help :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just received bass guitar exercises for dummies, just had a quick look last night, didn’t have time to play :disappointed:, although the print is small on the tabs and staff it seems to have some good sections on plucking with both fingers & across strings, looking forward to giving it a go soon, might be worth a look

4 Likes

Ha! If you ever want to get my attention directly just throw my name in the comment! I’m reading everything every day and something like this makes me stoked - I can hear all the potential, but want add my words of encouragement/caution, whatever.
I played through London Calling (the album) so many times.
It’s an all time favorite of mine, and the bass lines are so so so so good.
Stoked you’re working on this!

4 Likes

I got my strap and my picks today and it’s honestly not as hard as I thought.

4 Likes