Bass setup guidelines

Hi Guys

I’m wondering whether to get my Ibanez GSR200 setup properly by a luthier as I’m not totally “comfortable” with it. It plays ok, but I’m just wondering if I can get it better.

I’ve watched a few videos on setups etc sininam familiar with some of the techniques, but I was just wondering if there are any “default” measurements that I can take to see whether anything is wildly out. Eg. Neck relief etc

Thanks
Matthew

4 Likes

There are killer and excellent references on this thread, @MattHinchliffe!

5 Likes

Awesome thanks @Gio

5 Likes

@MattHinchliffe, here is another excellent series, 4 parts, on setting up a Sterling Ray4. While the actual values of string heights and neck relief may vary depending on your bass, this is super translatable and very well explained for other basses. I set up my Ray4 (which I briefly had) using this and I also used the info to set up my P-Clone.

Ray4 Setup, Part 1

For Fender (and clone) specs, you can look here.

4 Likes

It is much easier than you think, with a couple of specialized tools (capo, ruler gauge of some sort in mm or 64ths of an inch, that start on the edge, feeler gauges, screwdriver, allen wrenches).
When I started figuring this out I tried a few different techniques I saw and settled on what worked for me. One word of advice, measure everything BEFORE you start, so you at least know where you started. I wrote the process down in a notebook on what ways to do each adjustment from truss rod, string height, intonation, pickup height - in that order (add in nut height at the beginning if you have the right files), but check it either way.

Some folks use business cards or picks or just plain feel/eyeball for the adjustments, my engineer side makes me get everything exact, but there is no need for that. Over time you learn what feels good and how to get there.

I did my first bass a few times in a row (undoing what I did a bit and redoing) just for practice.

8 Likes

@John_E

Very sound advice.

3 Likes

Isn’t that cheating?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yes. He didn’t even use a hammer.

4 Likes

Yes, it really help if people understand each of the adjustments and exactly how they affect things. A lot of people don’t understand and they end up adjusting the wrong things to try and resolve a problem eg adjusting the bridge when they should be adjusting the truss rod or adjusting the truss rod when the nut is cut too high.

3 Likes

I have adjusted 3 basses so far, several times due to mistakes made.

The idea of using your initial set up as a baseline (written down measurements!!) is excellent, and I didn’t use it until my 3rd time around the block, though I should have been doing that from the get go.

I would also add that the nut height can be the real hidden confounder and needs checking. It was on my first bass, the Ibby GSR200.

4 Likes

IMHO the nut height is the one setting I feel most people should be very very careful adjusting. The nut height is the only thing on a setup that scares me and nut files are so unreasonably priced. I mean it’s not like you can easily reverse cutting a nut slot too low.
Fortunately I have not had any issues adjusting the nut height so far.
Probably just overthinking on my behalf.

2 Likes

I feared this as well but “rebuilding” or filling in a nut slot cut improperly is fairly easy and straightforward.

The nut files are easily paid for in trips to a luthier if you plan on buying multiple basses (isn’t this always the plan?).

3 Likes

What would you use to fill an overcut nut slot?

3 Likes

Here’s a thought - If you deem that the nut slots are too low, or too high for that matter, would it not be possible to just tune down 1/2 step and capo at the first fret to get back to standard EADG tuning.
If this sorted out the nut height issue it may be a good alternative to playing with nut slot depths.

2 Likes

It isn’t, but it happens anyway.

2 Likes

If all your nut slots are too low, you can shim the whole nut or build it up with cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue and baking soda or cyanoacrylate and tissue paper.

CAVEAT: the baking soda cooks off the cyanoacrylate right quick and leaves a sandable plastic, but you really need to be careful otherwise it’s a mess.

For a single slot, that’s trickier. I used a bit of doubled up electrical tape on mine. I appreciate the solution is a bit redneck engineer, but hey, I grew up on a farm in Grey County :smiley:

4 Likes

I am in Simcoe County.
Where are you now?

2 Likes

Guelph. Not far away.

3 Likes

This…or bone dust that you can also buy.
Stew Mac has colored dust you can buy if you want to get fancy/matchy

4 Likes

I am just south of Barrie out in the country.
I got my TRBX 504 from JJ Music in London, ON a month and a half ago.
Very helpful people.

3 Likes