Bass Soul Food Overdrive

I just got a 3rd compressor. My chain was set up with
Bass
Bass mini Wah
Noise supressor
Loop out to Compressor - Compressor - Octaver - PreAmp / DI - OD - FUZZ Back to Noise compressor (need for noise suppressor is subjective, I like it)
out to
Chorus
MD-6B (for other modulation)
Envelope filter (may move around, IDK yet)
Behringer BassDriver Pre-amp DI

I am adding
Looper pedal
3rd compressor (experimenting with, may only keep 2, but where it goes, nobody knows. lol. I am gonna play with it after the noise gate, or last in line to it, after the OD/DIST/FUZZ stuff

EDIT:
the ZOOM MS-60B is also my tuner, so if I replace it with a Phaser, I may add a tuner, but it will be a mini to conserve space

2 Likes

I’ve just grabbed a mini-tuner off of eBay and I’m very pleased with it. Unbranded and only $30.

2 Likes

I saw they make one that is like about 1/2" or maybe 5/8" wide that can fit between thing really good. it is about wide enough for the foot switch and that is all, but IDK the quality. I only saw one on OFFER UP took so IDK where to even get one, I have not tried to find one yet. I was thinking the HOTONE size could be good, and while not botique pedals or anything, I think it is a brand that probably makes a decent tuner. IDK, not sure I am even gonna need one if I keep the MS-60B on the board. But after @howard showed me that Blood Moon Phaser for so cheap, I may be getting rid of the MS-60B after-all.

3 Likes

do you ever worry about signal loss?

3 Likes

I Have thought about it, and have not yet, with the boost from all the compressors, and the pre-amp and OD pedals, I am not thinking that I will, but I have considered a boost like the TC Electronics Spark Mini Booster or TC Electronics Spark Booster or Keeley Mini Katana looks interesting too. Will see, so far its been ok, but I have things I am adding.

2 Likes

Funny, I was just looking at some new adds on Offer up and some guy was selling some pedals, I recognizes some bass ones from the picture, so I looked at the add.
Crybaby Mini Bass Wah $85 (I have one - paid $60)
MXR Noise Clamp $50 (I have the Boss Noise Suppressor - paid $60)
MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe $50 (good price, but I have Bass Big Muff Deluxe)
Seymour Duncan Killing Floor $85

I didn’t know what that was so I asked the guy.
He replied “its a boost pedal”

I asked back to get more info, and it is a good one. 36db with 3 way toggle for Boost / Cut / Flat. Seymour Duncan usually makes good stuff.

But, it is a little bigger then the MXR boxes, so it is not a small pedal, and I most certainly would be needing a mini for space reasons, if I can even fit one (I am sure I can get creative enough to make it work with a mini) and that Keeley does a clean boost and a fat drive boost, and is a mini for the same price, but the TC Electronics is a mini for half the price. Of course, it is only a 20db boost, but I bet that would be enough. IDK how much the Keeley does, I would have to look on a different site for that.

I am only posting this because it was funny to me that we were just talking about a boost and the one pedal I asked about happened to be one.

I am still going to first try to get away without one.

3 Likes

I kind of “accidentally” bought myself a new Soul Food Overdrive Pedal off eBay the other day. I was debating on either trying the Soul Food or Nano Bass Big Muff out for my next pedal and was on the fence between them. There are things I like about the sound of both.

I actually went after a used Nano Bass Big Muff first, but someone got an accepted offer in before me so I missed out. Then I saw a NEW Soul Food I was watching was bid up to $65 and was ending in 4 mins. I thought about it for 3 mins and 10 seconds, then at the last few seconds I put in a bid for $66 and to my shock won it for $66. Not a bad price for brand new, I don’t think??? It should arrive tomorrow, I look forward to trying it out!

Chris

5 Likes

Nice!

You can still get a muff, those two would go well together. Nice warm overdrive in the Soul Food, full on fuzz in the Big Muff. I use mine with other dirt pedals all the time.

4 Likes

That’s pretty much my plan!

4 Likes

I recently sold my Big Muff on Offer Up in like 2 hours, I priced it at $55. less then the others that people always try to get $65 or $75 for them.
But I only sold it because I already purchased its replacement, and knew it was on the way.
I replaced it with…the Bass Big Muff Deluxe.
I loved the Big Muff, but was not happy with the amount of top end fuzz I would get without really EQing my bass right. But with the Deluxe, there is a X-over and low pass / hi pass filter that kicks in when you turn the x-over on, and it took care of the problem so I don’t have to change the eq on my bass when I kick on the Big Muff.
I would suggest, if you have the space for the larger pedal to get the Deluxe.
If you go on Reverb and find a good used one, you can make an offer and get them relatively inexpensive.
I got mine for $85 after tax.
They had it for like $90 with $12 ship. I offered $68 so it came to $80 after ship and $85 after tax.

If you go to the bottom of the Reverb page, where you are looking at the available used ones for sale, there is a graph and a list of the recent sales and the condition of the unit sold and price. you can use those trends to your advantage when making offers.

Just a thought, if you get the Bass Big Muff and want a fatter fuzz sound, then you have to sell it and get the deluxe
If you just get the deluxe you get that. and if you decide you want the standard Bass Big Muff sound, just step off the X=over and you get the normal pedal sound. best of both worlds

1 Like

Well… I’ve had the Soul Food now for 4 days and I was really starting to like it, applied the Velcro, and gave it a home on the board. Found a couple setting I REALLY like and I have the sore fingers to prove it.

Then tonight it suddenly got scratchy and the volume cut 90% out while I was playing. If I mess with the blend knob a bit it will come back for a min or so then cut out again. I isolated the pedal and switched from the Donner to the power supply that came with it and got the same results.

So unless someone has another idea, I think I will start the return process with the eBay seller tomorrow. Hopefully that won’t be a problem, it seems defective to me :frowning:

I’m really bummed too because the is the second dud pedal I’ve had in a row. I bought a Sonicake Cry Bot a couple of weeks ago and had to send it back because it barely did anything, hardly any change in tone at all, let alone any kind of auto wah like you would expect.

Chris

3 Likes

I got this pedal and sent it back. I was able to get auto wah, but it was not great. It was not horrible, I would have rated it a 6/10. Probably would get better results from a guitar as it works on higher frequencies is my guess.

I actually had a use for its limited functioning auto wah, but I didn’t keep it due to the design of the mini pedal. I am fine with mini pedals, but when they group those 3 tiny knobs across the top, first, I can’t read the fu@k@rs, and second, forget getting them all dialed in, I always move at least two when trying to move only one.
I got another Reverb pedal with the same design, and sent it back as well.
Now when shopping pedals, I stay away from that particular MINI DESIGN. i am good with other mini pedals, but not that one.

2 Likes

Bummer about the Soul Food.
I am starting to get worried with all these EHX duds people are getting.
I got my Bass Clone, and I didn’t get to use it much, and have it to the side right now because I am moving this Saturday. I knew I was moving by the end of this month, but did not know when or where until this weekend, I found a place to move into next weekend.
Because of the uncertainty, I just kine of left my stuff 1/2 packed up, ready to go.
I hope the Bass Clone is good, because I may breach the 30 day return window before I get a chance to put it to work. I did test it upon arrival, it was fine, but I hope it doesn’t cut out in a couple days of good use.

2 Likes

It’s weird. I own a bunch of their stuff and have never had any issues, but reading here I am seriously kind of wondering about their quality control.

Way back when they were (literally) just a bunch of stoners making pedals it’s understandable. Now not so much.

3 Likes

Maybe they just really want to follow MXR in quality terms. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Bass Big Muff Pi and the Deluxe one I had and have have been great, the Bass Clone was working fine when I tested it. It is strange that some have been defective out of the box, but more concerning are ones that only last a day or two, because you can’t rely on a quick test

1 Like

Well, when a solid state device works for a little while and then cuts out, the first culprit is actually probably any mechanical interface like jacks that had poor solder joints, a dirty pot, etc.

There are definitely things that go bad over time with solid state gear (usually capacitors in power supplies, happens on computers on the regular). But not after just a month.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am just saying, you can test something, it works, put it to the side, then get it 35-40 days later, plug in, the poor solder job breaks, the pedal stops working, and you don’t have the option to return it anymore.
Now
you could just fix it, assuming, it is that simple, and you have the tools (not expensive to buy), but it is just a hassle you should not have to do when you buy something new, that is not sold as a DIY kit
Just saying, if the quality is such, it is not reliable to just test it really quick and assume it is good.

I am only commenting on the quality control of EHX, and not anything about faulty solid state devices.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my point, if you bought something used and it breaks after a bit like this, you’re probably not totally hosed because there’s a pretty good chance it’s a simple fix.

Sctatchy/noisy knobs are a good example of this, they are usually easy to clean.

1 Like

EHX has a one year warranty if buying new.

2 Likes

Yeah, just not as easy as returning to Amazon.
I have not had an issue tho.
I am just commenting on so many people here having issues with them out of the box or within a few days.

1 Like