Bass Soul Food Overdrive

Watched a demo of the Electro Harmonix Bass Soul Food Overdrive Pedal
The reviewers weren’t very patient and swapped around settings pretty quickly, but amongst the rapid-fire twiddling of knobs, what I thought were some really great sounds came out.
Anyone got this pedal or tried it for a reasonable period and has a view on it?
Be keen to know if after longer term use you would still give it a thumbs up?

6 Likes

I looked at it a while back and it looks very good to me. Kind of reminds me of a cleaner, warmer version of the distortion on the EHX Battalion. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were similar circuits.

They have a pretty decent demo on Youtube:

1 Like

Thanks @howard for that, I’ll take a look at the demo you posted :+1:t2:
Interesting to hear you thought it was good too.

4 Likes

One thing to look out for with overdrives is to make sure they don’t drop the low end. This happens more often using a guitar distortion pedal on a bass (guitar Tube Screamers are pretty noticeable for this). This one doesn’t sound too bad but I did notice it sounded like there was a bit of low end drop in that demo. Could just be the blend setting.

This is another reason I love Darkglass and their various pedals. If you are interested in a vintagey overdrive with a ton of low end, check this out:

Not saying you need to shell out $200 for a Darkglass, just giving an example of the kind of low end you want to compare to when looking for a bass drive.

6 Likes

I have it for guitar and it is a go to for that non tubescreamer organic overdrive…that probably doesn’t help but its all I got

5 Likes

video does not worker me?

2 Likes

Thanks again @howard I’ll certainly take a look at the darkglass for comparison. Is it really $200? Pretty pricey!
@Tokyo_Rat are you referring to the darkglass or the E Harmonix, thanks?

3 Likes

the e harmonix

2 Likes

Normal youtube link, what does it say?

2 Likes

Not available at this time

1 Like

Weird, not sure whats up.

2 Likes

even with a guitar, a TS sucks a lot of the low frequencies. those things are really focused on the mid range. (and that’s why I modded my TS9 with a bass boost switch)

but of course it’s even more noticeable with a bass, as you say @howard

3 Likes

Hi @howard, you’re right about the darkglass vintage microtubes pedal, it sounds great. A good example to pick to show what’s out there to choose from, cost aside.

3 Likes

yeah, sounds excellent. pretty impressive with the Stingray, and I’m not at all the biggest Stingray fan. excellent with the Jazz Basses also. strangely I’ve been a bit less impressed with the Precision basses.

by the way, the green Precision with block inlays and PJ pickups is the exact same one than the bassist of Gouge Away plays.

… anyway there is a clone kit of this OD on Musicdings, I might buy it sooner or later.

4 Likes

What do you know about this one @howard?
I have an opportunity to trade for one, I know you, as well as countless others, love Darkglass. Is this one built same as your drive with extras?

2 Likes

Not the same as mine, different but equally awesome distortion (the Alpha Omega is the big brother of the Alpha Omicron; the equivalent full preamp/DI for my Microtubes X is the Microtubes X7.)

That one is one of the best preamp/distortion pedals you can buy. You should definitely get it if the price is right and the sound is what you are after.

2 Likes

The guy wants to buy my Agiular Agro pedal. it is brand new in box. I tried it one time and it was not what I was looking for at all.
He has been trying to sell quite a few pedals to get the money to buy the pedal for me.
He has the Alpha / Omega Ultra for sale, and nobody has bought it for over a month.
After you posted that video above, it didn’t work, even when I popped it into Youtube app, but it went to this pedal, and after watching it, the features are very very cool, plus you can link it to the computer to tweak other things, but the thing that really got me was the headphone jack. so it could be everything that I want for a pre-amp / di / overdrive / distortion pedal, PLUS standalone (meaning, sitting on the couch, playing thru headphones) headphone amplifier.
so now I am going to try and set up a trade. thing is he is asking $100 more the the Agro pedal cost, and I am not sure about spending the extra $100, but if he will go for $50 and the pedal, then I prob will do it.

1 Like

If you like the modern Darkglass sound then this is one of the best preamp/distortion combos you can buy. Some people might be happier with the Vintage Microtubes. For me the Alpha Omicron/Omega and Microtubes X/X7 are the tone I was looking for in a darkglass pedal.

As @terb mentioned there’s kits out there for the Vintage Microtubes and B3K as well, they cut the price more than in half.

No idea why the vid didn’t work, it’s just The Bass Channel. Can you see this one?

That’s the non-ultra version; the one you are looking at is better.

2 Likes

One of my all time faves for sure, I love mine

3 Likes

It’s a great sound :slight_smile:

2 Likes