Bass Soul Food Overdrive

If he hasn’t sold it for over a month it’s because he wants too much money for it.

3 Likes

He is asking $300 for it. or my Agro and $100.
I can’t see that video either @howard , IDK why, might be my computer, I will do a restart later and try again.

2 Likes

Its working now, it was my computer.
Sounds great. I love that the ultra has a headphone jack. I was reading that the master volume for it is the same as the DI out, so it can be very loud, and needs to be set by hooking up to the computer and adjusting it thru the app.
No biggie, I would turn it to a good volume and leave it, I don’t do any xlr out at the moment, and if I ever do, I can just hook it back up and adjust as necessary. I really wish it had the Aux in ( this one doesn’t, I checked), that would be a handy feature, but my zoom would get very lonely if it did, cuz it might get shelved.

2 Likes

There is a version 2 that has an AUX in. I think the only thing they changed between version 1 and 2 was adding the AUX in.

1 Like

My bad @Mark_UK. I completely forgot this was the Bass Soul Food thread and I’m all kinds of off topic.

If it helps. I’ve never seen a negative word about the Bass Soul Food. It seems to be mostly used for adding some texture and thickening up your bass sound as opposed to adding hard core distortion.

3 Likes

Not a problem @eric.kiser, interesting discussion. I often get as much from the sidebar chats on this forum, as the original question answers. All good stuff

Thanks for that. Given its price and how it sounds, it’s definitely on the list for me now.

2 Likes

Three EHX pedals on my board, big fan of the company here.

3 Likes

I have one and am planning on adding one more for sure. I have the Big Muff and am planning to add the Bass Clone Chorus pedal

1 Like

So what you’re telling me is if I buy the Soul Food, I’m on a slippery slope to major pedal expense down the line as I’ll want to add more :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Thats true of any pedal

5 Likes

pedals (and drugs) are bad… mmmkay

3 Likes

Well I finally got my hands on the Bass Soul Food pedal today, courier dropped it off earlier. Needless to say I took a break from office work and plugged it in.
It’s not going so well…
The footswitch takes real pressure to get it to engage, and it does so with a hugely audible and mechanical click (audible both in the amp signal and just generally as it’s so loud) that is not acceptable.
Even on max drive, there is almost no effect added to the dry signal (even on max blend) so the overdrive itself is not working properly. And the tone pot is scratchy as hell, again audible in the amp.
I hope this isn’t indicative of EHX build quality. Disappointing start.
I have a replacement turning up on Monday.
If it’s not completely different to this unit, I’ll be looking for recommendations in the same price range!

2 Likes

Yeah, not normal for EHX in my limited experience with them. Usually good build quality, good sound.

I have the Plumes by Earthquaker Labs.
I like it a lot. it is a great little unit. Superior quality, hand made in the states.
most of their pedals are over $200. This is a Tube Screamer with a toggle switch to give 3 different clipping modes. The Tone shape more then just goes from high to low. all in all, it is a superior OD for a great price. I actually got mine when they were $88, and now they are $99, but still its a deal.
Only thing is this is not a BASS only Overdrive. It doesn’t drop the bottom out like many guitar pedals will, but a BASS overdrive may be a bit fatter in the bottom end.

EHX also has the Bass Blogger Over Drive pedal, for around $70 I think, let me check. I can’t say either way on that one tho, only it is EHX and is usually good.

let me see what else I can find for you.

2 Likes

Many thanks @T_dub for the info, I’ll let you know on Monday how the replacement is.
Cheers

1 Like

I’ve had nothing but good luck with EHX. But it sounds like you got a dud for sure.

3 Likes

Hope so @howard just unlucky and a dud, I never buy anything without a conscious decision in terms of checking reviews, and I did like the sound of the Soul Food.

3 Likes

Good luck with the replacement, hopefully will be fine. I’ve bought two used and one new EHX pedal and all have been perfect for performance.

2 Likes

Thanks @howard.
To try and seduce me, EHX included in their Soul Food pedal box a little cute booklet of all their pedals. I’m sitting scanning through that, reminding myself that I was intending not buy any more pedals after the Soul Food for a while (well if the HOF2 went on sale… or TC finally shipped some Ditto+ units I might be swayed…)
:grin:

2 Likes

Thomman’s has hundreds of reviews of this pedal, and didn’t see it mentioned much. But there was this:

So hopefully it is a somewhat isolated problem. I do love the sound of that pedal, but I do think the effect may be more subdued in the real world then it sounds in demo videos. My similar darkglass vintage pedal (check it out too) was somewhat like that. And I agree that ehx usually are very high quality, it’s unusual. As for a stiff button (heh) one of my favorite pedals, my audio source spectrum, has almost no click and is a little difficult to engage, which is probably worse. You get used to it.

2 Likes

Thanks @itsratso for digging that out. Interesting to see others have noted the same issue.
I didn’t like the pop sound through the amp when engaging the pedal at times, will see if the replacement is any better.

2 Likes