EHX Bass Clone Pedal Issues

Can any of you that have this pedal kindly give me your opinion whether I have a dud pedal, or what I’m experiencing is normal for the pedal, thanks?
Just unboxed a brand new EHX Bass Clone chorus, and it’s VERY noisy when engaged.
I have it isolated from everything else, just guitar to pedal to amp, and the constant white noise hiss generated makes the pedal not usable in my opinion. It’s overbearing.
Makes no difference how the pedal is powered (battery, wall adaptor or isolated outputs from a Truetone CS12) the hiss is definitely originating from the Bass Clone circuitry.
Anyone else have this problem from this pedal?
Be curious to know before I send it back…
I’m not having much luck with EHX, my recent purchase of a Bass Soul Food pedal was also a dud first time round and had to be replaced. I’m not liking their quality control.

2 Likes

You are scaring me here. I just opened mine, as it was just delivered 5 minutes ago. I will try right now and get back to you in a few minutes.

1 Like

Nope, I get dead silence. When it is off, zero noise. When it is on, zero noise unless I play something.

I have the pedal sitting on top of my amp, with an 8" cable from the pedal to the amp, and a 3’ cable from the bass to the pedal, with a 9v power wall adapter to power it.
Not the best environment you could create for it, but I am getting zero noise, so I can say my pedal is not loud like yours.
That sucks, sorry you are having such trouble with them. I know they make good pedals, just don’t know the ratio of good to bad?

2 Likes

I don’t have any such problem with mine. If you aren’t having that problem with any of your other pedals, then I would say you got a defective one. Did you get it on Amazon?

Hmmm really different to mine, thanks for checking @T_dub

Thanks @PamPurrs for the confirmation.

Obviously from both of your feedback I definitely have a dud (again). Can’t believe it. Grrr :grimacing:

No I got it from one of the large mail order music equipment companies in the UK. I don’t know if I feel like getting a refund or trying another, guess I should try again with the same pedal.

Thanks both

1 Like

I would just ask for a replacement. I love mine, albeit I haven’t had it that long.

@T_dub is really good at reviewing pedals, so perhaps we will see one from him soon.

3 Likes

@Mark_UK not to sound condescending, but I have to ask (because this is what I would do), have you tried a different cable just to eliminate that from the equation? I’m sure you have, but I have to ask.

3 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs. Good question. I run an engineering team and I’m always telling them when they are debugging something that the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask! So no I don’t mind the question at all. It prompted me to recheck the cables in fact just to be certain.
After swapping out all the cables, the hiss is still there. Don’t know if this link will work, but here is me engaging and disengaging the pedal:

3 Likes

Yeah, I can definitely hear the hiss when you engage. Send it back.

3 Likes

Yeah mine doesn’t do that at all.

4 Likes

I think I’m jinxed when it comes to EHX pedals @howard!

4 Likes

Okay @Mark_UK I hate to open another can of worms here, but…

I have to ask. How reliable is the mail order house from which you ordered these pedals? Sorry, just introducing another puzzle piece into the equation.

2 Likes

Do just bass into ehx into amp. I have a feeling it isn’t playing nice with something in your chain.

3 Likes

Hi @itsratso, I never tried it with the rest of the pedals:

4 Likes

Valid question @PamPurrs. They have a physical shop too, and are probably around number 2 to 3 maybe in the UK .
I’ve no doubt it’s a genuine pedal, the last EHX I had which was faulty was from a different company as well.

3 Likes

Have you tried different power supply?
Different wall socket?
different outlet in a power supply brick?f
Anything to eliminate the power source as the problem?

3 Likes

Hi @T_dub yes tried a brand new just unboxed truetone CS12 with nothing else attached, a Truetone wall plug and just using a battery. Same white noise present.

3 Likes

Barring you going into the pedal and fixing some circuitry, you are gonna have to send it back. You may make consider asking the seller to test the pedal before they send it.

3 Likes

@Mark_UK I feel bad for you having to go through all this, but it’s really a nice pedal and you’ll enjoy it once you get this sorted.

3 Likes

Yeah, you and Pam with the pedal issues. She can’t get a used one that is in good condition, and you can 't get a new pedal to work out of the box.
You are two peas in a pod. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes