Bass storage

I know this isn’t really about the gear itself, but thought this seemed like the best place to post it. Had some MDF left over after my last job and needed a more organized way to store my basses…thought this might be helpful for some…I was tired of them all leaning against each other in the closet…

12 Likes

I wish I had cases. I’ve got one gig bag for 6 guitars. I have a wall rack but it’s not the same.

1 Like

“A place for everything and everything in its place” . . . :slight_smile:

Nice work, @allanlamonte

2 Likes

I put up wall mounts and then read that they like being in their cases/gig bags better. I much prefer having my mistresses on display!

3 Likes

Very much so! Thanks much!

2 Likes

Get some then Pete. Look out for them one by one on ebay etc. Also Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree (if you’re in UK)
Most of mine (I have 5) are the hard plastic moulded ones, and they take up a lot of space. I bought a semi-rigid one recently though, and it takes up lots less space and is also a cheaper option - maybe check those out. I’d happily swap all of my hard cases for the semi-rigid ones. They’re loads lighter to cart around as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-Rigid-Foam-Lightweight-Guitars/dp/B000WZ7FT2

3 Likes

I don’t really need one at the moment as the basses don’t go anywhere, but the moment I want to take one along with me I only have the Tbird gig bag - it’s specific for that design so doesn’t accommodate others without the headstock sticking out. I just don’t have the money for more bass gear right now - I’m even considering cancelling my tickets to the Manchester Bass Show as I can’t really afford the travel & digs. :disappointed_relieved: A case would be cheaper but no more justifiable - unless I start gigging…

1 Like

I’ve just seen these Pete. They look pretty similar to the Gator cases but considerably cheaper

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armourdillo-Lightweight-Hard-Foam-Full-Size-Guitars/dp/B003SQ7DJE/ref=pd_sbs_267_t_1/262-8938484-0858204?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003SQ7DJE&pd_rd_r=0b49d860-7db4-4fad-a982-f33119b92b0a&pd_rd_w=YgAGQ&pd_rd_wg=6fkcG&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=GDB67MX2KJZCBDYXYDEZ&psc=1&refRID=GDB67MX2KJZCBDYXYDEZ

2 Likes

I like that my guitars/basses are not stored. I see them all the time, it’s appealing. only two of my instruments are on their hard cases : my acoustic guitar and my violin. the two I never use.

4 Likes

@terb

Agreed… they are works of art and need to be enjoyed! Recently bought wall mounts, and they have locking bars that close just from the weight of the bass. (and easily open when you lift the instrument up)

6 Likes

Are there pros/cons about cases vs display in terms of the guitar “breathing” or not? Humidity, etc?

1 Like

That’s my question as well. I understood that being in the case keeps things more consistent with regard to humidity.

1 Like

I have 3 motorbikes, 2 of which are currently inside my house.
I also now have 6 basses, and there’s a limit to the amount of items I can have ‘out on display’ in the house.
I’m also renovating the house as well though, which puts a different slant on things lol.

3 Likes

Whereabouts do you live then Pete?

1 Like

Up by Aberdeen, @Mark_D

I opted for cheap hangers, which do the job, but I mounted them on a reclaimed timber board. Now looking at yours with the artwork I wish I’d done that - especially now that I have more guitars than hangers.

Before the TRBX displaced the acoustic.

3 Likes

That looks really nice . . . and great idea to have locking mounts. My daughter-in-law’s guitar fell off the simple wall hook she was using. :frowning:

Fortunately, no serious damage was done, though.

3 Likes

I’m currently looking for a way to store my guitar and bass. While I like the idea of wall mounts, I’d constantly be worried about them falling down.

The current plan is this stand from Hercules:

As you can see, I’m planning ahead.

6 Likes

I wonder if some day you’ll need to get another stand for that 7th bass you fall in love with… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have a very similar one for my guitars, with 9 places. which is obviously not enough.

2 Likes

I like to keep my main bass right by my desk in a nice stand… you would be surprised how much more you will play if you look at your bass next to you and it calls out to be played!

5 Likes