Bassbuzz Demographics (a poll)

You may get some Home Depot silver spray paint on your lips, but it might still be worth it!

Makes me think of this bit from Comedy Bang Bang where Weird Al is dating a robot…

8 Likes

I firmly and adamantly support any video clip with Weird Al in it.

8 Likes

Between that quote and that video, I can’t help feeling that we’ve just found out something about Josh that is more interesting than any of the stories surrounding the banana.

What happens in B2B Towers, stays in B2B Towers, eh?

6 Likes

Steve from Alaska 61 yrs old, retired.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard and thanks for voting, @sskolnick . . :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@sskolnick Welcome to BassBuzz!

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

3 Likes

Huntington Beach, California
Never played bass before
started towards the end of Feb 2020

4 Likes

I’m 52, in Canada :canada: (originally from :barbados: ), and never played Bass guitar before. I was more of a percussionist/drummer, but drums and Bass are my two favourite instruments. My Bass kit arrived during this lockdown a few weeks ago, so what better time to start learning! :smiley:

9 Likes

Welcome @paula. You’ll find lots of good support and information here.

P.S. I started as a drummer also

3 Likes

That actually makes sense!
Welcome.

3 Likes

Welcome, @paula . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you here with us!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @paula!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the welcome everyone! There’s so much to explore here. I’m loving it, that there are Bass guitar lovers all in one place! :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, I noticed there’s so much information! I’m exploring like crazy, but I also realize I have to pace myself.

P.S. I started as a drummer also

Cool that you started in drums too! I’ve loved listening to them both in music at home since I was little. I’d even listen to their individual parts and mimic them in my head, then with my hands when I didn’t have access to the ‘real’ instruments at all.

3 Likes

Funny isn’t it. I didn’t realize until I was a bit older, in my late teens, that I enjoyed them not just because of how they sound, but also because how ‘grounded’ they are in their own way in a band – like supports. It kind of matched my personality and how I live my life too, sort of more low-key/not in the spotlight much, but always there – if that makes any sense. :smiley:

4 Likes

I think knowing drums some gives you a bit of an edge. Should make it a bit easier to lock in with the drummer. When the drummer and bass are locked in a groove, good things happen.

Similarly, if you can recognize the basic guitar chords visually (or audibly) that helps lock with the rhythm guitar (or lead if there is just one).

4 Likes

Ha, to someone who, on stage, always wore black, played a black bass, and positioned himself where the light don’t shine, left of the drummer (on the hi-hat side), it does!
“As long as they can hear me, I’m good.” :laughing:

5 Likes

LOL! My Bass is all-black too (Squier Precision Jazz)!
I’m not a music performer, but I’m the same as you in my line of work re invisibility/wearing Black. Fortunately it’s actually one of the key job requirements to be stealthy – to not be seen or heard (I’m a photographer in Film/TV, and also a Concert photographer).
Sometimes it can be quite a challenge photographing all the band members – especially the bass players and drummers! So you’re one of those challenging bassists on the drummer’s left side eh? Ha! Yep, that would be even harder to see you for sure. That, with the crazy stage lighting (especially red lights, the ‘nemesis’ of many a photographer! :rofl: ).
The bass player would definitely have to be waaay ‘out there’ closer to the front or moving around a lot for me to even get a fighting chance of a great shot! :smile:

4 Likes

Regarding the Poll, I understand that not everyone on the site voted, but I’m still fascinated by how many votes, so far, are from those over age 45! That, and also how many are new to playing! My goodness. I just realized how much of a comfort that is to see. The bass is the second venture I’d taken on in ‘mid-life’ (also added a second career) and I’m enjoying it all! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Me too, @paula . . . :slight_smile:

That’s one of the reasons I started the poll . . . thanks for voting, and I hope that all the other newcomers will vote as well.

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes