Bassbuzz Demographics (a poll)

Too true about Josh. I’m waiting for him to do a video on how to dance properly while playing the bass too. :rofl:

He’s just full of good energy.

8 Likes

There’s probably more amazing guitar-based music being made right now than at any other point in history. Just not all of it is stadium rock.

There has been a huge democratization in making music. It’s easier to record and produce and and get it out to people now than it ever has been. I think the Fender guy quoted in that article is actually spot on. Now is the time to get people to stick with the instrument, because there’s a hell of a lot more people actually making music now than there were back in the '80s - and I say that as someone who was in a gigging band in the '80s :slight_smile:

That article cites Gibson as dropping from $2.1 to $1.7 billion in revenue last year. For comparison, in 1985, Gibson did less than $10M in worldwide revenue.

Granted, most of that was consumer electronics. But even discounting the 75% quoted as their consumer electronics share, that’s still a solid $400M in 2018 from their traditional products. Even adjusted for inflation, that’s 20 times the business they were doing in the mid-80s.

From the article, the overall industry sold a half billion dollars of guitars - 1.13 million units - in 2014. That’s just guitars, not all the related money-making goods.

The quote in the WaPo piece about the industry not being sustainable as it currently is is probably accurate - but that’s more because the industry has grown huge, not because no one is buying guitars :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I ate a banana just before reading your post. Sneaky vegan propaganda: is that the subliminal message in the videos? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

The only full length piece of music I have ‘recorded’ is actually a couple of tracks built from samples. Not a live instrument on them. Yet. I think there must be a lot of people making music without being able to play anything more than 2 finger keyboard. And that’s just fine.

We’re veering of-topic here (would we ever do that?), but I wonder how many guitar manufacturers there are now compared to, say, the mid 80’s at the height of the guitar band revival (certainly here in the UK). It seems to me that we all have a massive choice - if we ignore budget.

4 Likes

Then there was the huge BritPop wave of the '90s, then the resurgence of post-punk tinged stadium rock thing in the 2000s, and… basically your country has been cranking out great guitar music for decades nonstop :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My take is everything goes in cycles. Right now pop music (for the most part) is nothing by computer harmonized vocals, computer generated beats for drums, bass, little to no guitar. (some arent) Not my taste at all. I feel like Corey from SlipKnot where he was quoted in an interview as saying “Everytime I hear Pop music I feel a small part of my soul being ripped away” (LOL…nothing like the overdramatic…but than again its Corey).

And the more metal advances (and the more I play bass) I find myself going back to the 70’s, 60’s rock music. To me I feel there is MUCH more artistic creativity back then. Not that there isnt some really good bands in metal now…but you just cant beat going back to one’s roots!

4 Likes

I’m SITS (stuck in the seventies) myself . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He appeared on the quiz show Q.I. which was originally presented by Stephen Fry so that gives you an idea of the intellectual level it’s pitched at, and Corey was by far the, erm, ‘least involved’ guest they’d ever had on it. Seemed like a fun guy and they all had a laugh but he looked like he thought he was on the wrong show. I’m sure he belted out a loud screaming note or two. Not sure that has any relevance here but you mentioned his name and that popped into my head.

2 Likes

62 yrs, Colorado, retired, first time learning to play bass. Lots of time to practice and go thru the B2B course these next few days, I’ll be snowed in. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Incompetent newbie who barely has Billie Jean - Slow Workout done (somewhat) at your service. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m guessing you must be around 120 years old then?

3 Likes

There’s got to be an application for a good diesel boat – I just can’t think of one right now…:laughing:

1 Like

I’m in the 1% haha wow. Well i’m happy if anyone is making music, especially older people it seems sadly give up on music as they feel their time to shine has gone. But music is therapeutic, even if you play alone or just jam with mates, and it’s good for the brain. Never stop playing, i will rock even when i’ve got my degree and in my boring career! :metal:t4:

8 Likes

You are not only in the 1%, but you are THE ONE!!!

4 Likes

Not necessarily . . . :slight_smile:

Most of us have a bit more time to pursue our dreams now :wink:

We also have a lot of newer people joining up here and I’d like to invite them to add their data at the top of this thread.

Cheers, Joe

7 Likes

I had someone crash into me skiing. :roll_eyes: Nothing broken, but a very sore left arm. Did lots of “chugging” practice on open strings over the last few weeks. But, I’m all healed up and back at it! I am loving this course! :grin:

4 Likes

@Lanny, that is one of the reasons I posted a cover even though I knew it was not 100%… I was hoping other newbies would see it and realize not everyone here can play yet. As a new player, all the covers I would see tend to be spot on and you don’t know how long the person has played so I thought that was a little intimidating. The more reason I knew I had to video myself. I keep hearing that is one of the best tools to grow and I definitely learned from watching myself, and hopefully others will be more energetic after seeing a not perfect cover.

8 Likes

So true @jazmo1999… And as time goes by, and more covers are created, you can always go back to the beginning to see just how far “You” have progressed. It’s amazing actually, but like anything in life, you gotta start somewhere. It’s not about creating a ‘perfect’ cover - it’s more about being able to step outside your comfort zone and play your bass. After awhile it just becomes second nature and that’s when you start getting better at it and can begin learning about other options (gear), recording techniques (video and audio), etc… It’s all about having FUN!! (at least for me)

6 Likes

I’m not sure whether or not I participated in the poll. I’m usually shy when it comes to revealing information about myself, especially when it comes to revealing where I’m from. I’ve only been on Earth for a short period of time, and really like it here. I guess I’m paranoid that the authorities might be monitoring this forum and may discover me and send me back to my home planet. Not that Nukmou isn’t a nice planet, but I must say the music stores there suck. Plus, most everyone there either plays bagpipes or accordion… bass players are frowned upon.
I really like it here on Earth.

14 Likes

Lanny,
most excellent.
I can say that from my own experience, the final decider on BassBuzz was the forum community.
Although the robot has an eye on me, three warnings for being over the limit on hearts.
JT

7 Likes