Basses that come with Flats

Hello fellow bassists. I was just wondering if there are any basses that come with flats out of the box. I recently found out that Hofner sells flatwound basses so I wanted to know if there are any other companies that do this. Thanks.

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any other than Hofner. I know the EUBs come with flats, but I don’t know of any EBs that come with them (other than Hofner).
Interesting question though.
One of the first things I do whenever I buy a new bass is rip off those dreadful round wounds and replace them with flats.

4 Likes

I hope not :slight_smile:

(j/k)

More seriously, I doubt there are many. Statistically, a lot fewer players use flats than rounds. Flats are also a lot more expensive. It seems like an unlikely choice to ship a fretted bass with.

You might want to check fretless basses though; they are a more natural pick for flats.

6 Likes

Sire Fretless basses come with flats out of the box.

5 Likes

i would think most fretless would.

5 Likes

Yeah, fretless seem like a natural choice.

4 Likes

Oddly, my Ibanez fretless came with rounds

4 Likes

just guessing, I could easily be wrong 🤷

5 Likes

It was a good guess :smiley_cat: I would agree with you, all fretless basses SHOULD come with flats…

4 Likes

You can special order a bass from BITE basses and they give you the option to choose round or flat. I would guess most bases come with rounds because they can play a wider range of genres and one can easily swap them out if your looking for that sound.

4 Likes

I just checked out Bite Basses and they’re so cool. I’m definitely gonna consider them as an option when I buy my next bass. Thanks.

2 Likes