Bassist Drummer relationship

Ok its probably been addressed already but here goes.
Ive been playing bass now for about 6 months wirh my church praise band.
Thought i was doing ok however I’ve had a few people tell me that i should play with the kick drum. No matter how much i try we’re always one beat off, never at the same beat. If i try to play on his kick, it throws me off. No one has complained but if its something I’m doing wrong I’d like to correct.

1 Like

I just remember Josh saying “leave room for the snare”. To me everything else is fair game, lol.

3 Likes

You should play on one, whether it’s the snare (jazz) or kick (most genres)

You have latitude after that, but hit the one.

Download a drum app to your phone to practice

2 Likes

I will raise the possibility the kick is anticipating the one and you’re dead on

3 Likes

Have you discussed this with the drummer him/herself?

Also, if it sounds good, who cares? :wink:

2 Likes

I have questions…

Who is telling you to play on the kick?
Does the band leader have a problem with your playing?
Are you able to practice with just you and the drummer?
Does the drummer have a problem with your playing?

4 Likes

Hm, if you were one beat off, that should also manifest in “harmonic issues”, and people should notice that, but since no one complains, maybe it is something you think you are doing wrong, but you’re not!?!

Could you sit down with the drummer and try some simple grooves to see how well you align or not? And then slowly increase the complexity (as needed)!?

Where did that come from?? :rofl:

4 Likes

Just say it’s jazz and be done with it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

No we dont live close, he is still working and I’m retired

1 Like

I had a neighbor that plays bass and he told me that, and I’ve read it a few times on the internet. Only remarkes i get are from the guitar player that tells me every so often that I’m a little loud. Drumner has never said anything to me either. We only have a piano, lead guutar, drummer and now me the bass. I dont think any of them would critique me but I dont want to cause anyone to off because I’m not playing right.

1 Like

Do they stream or record your services? If so you could listen to yourself online to see if it sounds right. I do that with my church’s YouTube page a lot to see how different basses fit in our band since the sound in the room is different from the sound in my in ear monitors.
Beyond that I would suggest asking your worship leader for honest input on how you sound and for any suggestions he or she may have.

1 Like

Playing with the kick is for the rhythm, bassists are still responsible for the 1 too

Jazz drumming uses the bass drum more for accents, it’s a lot more focused on snare and cymbals

1 Like

We dont currently have a Worship leader, our lead guitarist pulls the music. I’ve listened to it on the internet but all you can hear is the piano and drums.

2 Likes

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Joerg is (or was) a Jazz drummer :rofl:

3 Likes

Anyone else find that funny? No? Just me? :rofl:

10 Likes

Didn’t know that. I feel like an idiot

2 Likes

What?! Now you must challenge him to a bass fight!

Just kidding. It’s important for you to be able to put your notes wherever they need to be and for most (?) popular music hitting on the downbeat of the kick drum matters. I’m not familiar with contemporary praise music in general or the specific songs you play. If you are putting the notes where the band leader wants them, you’re doing the right thing.

Meh. This happens.

Ask them to. Specifically, the band leader. Hearing where you can improve is a big part of knowing what to work on to get better.

Good luck @Rvinny and get back to us and let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

This! I have learned a ton from the leaders of the worship band I’ve played in. They have given me honest feedback that has greatly improved my playing over the years.

2 Likes

Thanks, Howard! I was.… but only self-taught, really. And more fusion than swing :joy:

I really had just wondered about the seeming “absoluteness” of @Wombat-metal 's statement - but, I got the main point he was trying to make :smile:

2 Likes