Bassist that apparently can't count needs help

I guess I am burned out for the day but even if it looks stupid I will attempt to ask.
This is 4/4 and I am having tremendous difficulty to pluck and count because it seems fast (LMAO) to me right now.

cries for help

1 Like

Grooveful.io by @gcancella

Killer tool

grooveful.io/b8jcCa4uyEhBodpkftna

5 Likes

So play it slowly :smile:

What is your main problem here? I am not sure I understandā€¦

Also, check this out:

And similar ones from Saher Galt on rhythm!

5 Likes

The first three note set is a gallop, so the rythm on it 1-34 (eigth-pause-sixteenth-sixteenth) with a length equal to one quarter note. In the following doublet of eigths, both are plucked, with the second one ringing through the first eigth note of the second doublet rather than plucking it.

2 Likes

My problem is that I 'm trying to apply the rhythm cheat sheet and I canā€™t count.
Obviously itā€™s not 4 notes in one bar to be 1 2 3 4, so I am missing beats on +s? I assume.
Like what seems like a triplet, I cannot count. I am watching the video you attached, thank you! Hope it will help me more!

@smurillo after I press OK for the beta warning, nothing comes up ;(

@MC-Canadastan OH so I donā€™t pluck that one note, it was ruining everything for me I couldnā€™t understand how to play it. So itā€™s 1-gallop3-1 and open D? Am I understanding it correctly?

1 Like

hmmm same here. Just create this snare pattern

3 Likes

My tongue always gets tide when you introduce 16th notes. What helps me is to slow down the metronome, or drum beat so it is at a speed where I can count, then once I get the beat down, I start increasing speed (and stop counting).

2 Likes

Where was this tool when I was trying to count like an idiot. Although you know how to count instead of me whenever I see gallops and sh1t I lose my mind until I get combusted. <3

@AnotherJosh Slower it makes sense, but when I go to the original tempo, my fingers become semi boiled spaghetti without any oil or butter. :frowning:
My rhythm reading sucks. And I am not sure how to fix it

2 Likes

One of the last lessons of B2B is maintaining a rythm with pauses in the backing beat. That one really opened my eyes to time keeping.

4 Likes

Oh then I have a chance into getting better, I am halfway in B2B Shy

3 Likes

cries for help

So you know when you see all quarter notes you count:
1-2-3-4.
When you start to see eight notes you count:
1-and-2-and-3-and-4.
When you see a 16th note, the counting goes:
1-ee-and-ah-2-ee-and-ah-3-ee-and-ah-4-ee-and-ah.

The first three nots you pluck on the 1, the and & the ah. The 1 is held across the ā€˜eeā€™.
The 4th note starts is 2-ee.
The 5th note (tied to the 6th note) is and-ah-3-ee
The 7th note is and-ah.
The 8th note is 4-ee-and-ah

Do this very slowly, start even by just clapping it out.
Use a metronome set up with a main beat and 4 subdivision, this may help.
This takes time to get under your fingers and ears.

4 Likes

I kept this on my 'puter as a screenshot to refer to the future.
I have a metronome app that I can use just by clapping, I watched the video that was recommended, very nice exercises too, I just feel it takes too long to understand rhythm and when triplets and 16ths blend into 8ths or 4ths my mind dies immediately :frowning:

They are a different animalā€¦
Trip-e-let - in one beat

2 Likes

OOooooooooh

When first started, I would always try to play too fast, and I would get sloppy and tie my fingers in knots. It really came down to slowing it down to where I could play ever note cleanly and in time, and then after that I would speed up by 5-10% until I could play it at speed. Iā€™ve been playing for around 10 months and I still do this, but it doesnā€™t take me as long as it did in the beginning. That being said, I still have a few songs that I have learned where I canā€™t play the entire thing at speed, but I play them every other day or so and I am confident that I will be able to get them up to speed eventually. Guitar Pro was a really good practice tool for me, it allowed me to play songs I downloaded from ultimate-guitar.com, slow them down, speed them up, just loop sections I was having trouble with. Probably one of the more useful expenditures I made for bass.

1 and a 2 Andā€¦ And 4. Hold the and of 2 until the and of 3

1 Like

Not a triplet there in sight :slight_smile:

Triplets, afaik, are three equalbeats in a measure. That one there is a gallop, with one long (1/8) and two short (1/16) notes.

Google some Iron Maiden bass tabs, or watch @JoshFossgreen 's video on Steve Harrisā€¦ about the halfway mark.

3 Likes

I have to confess that I donā€™t count, I get the concept of course, then slowly get the ā€œspacingā€ between notes under my fingers but at the time of actually playing at speed, nope, if I count I canā€™t play

1 Like

Itā€™s been said several times. Just start by playing slowly and build it up. At a certain point it will just click. Itā€™s really good to learn the principles from Josh, after the course it still takes a lot of practice to master it.

2 Likes

@Reo @NocturnalPulse
Go to Rich Brownā€™s YouTube Channel The BrownStone. Search for metronome exercises. There are a series of 4 or 5 that will really really help hear and they are a lot of fun.

Take ā€˜em slow, write ā€˜em out. I use these constantly now.

1 Like