Bassiversary

One year ago today, June 5, 2019, I received the inexpensive 4 string bass and tiny amplifier that I had ordered from Amazon. It was an early gift to myself to celebrate my 70th birthday.
I had long yearned to play bass but wasn’t sure if I’d stick with it, therefore I spent conservatively. After all, I had given up on drums in high school (kicked out of the band) and later while in my twenties, the trumpet. With that in mind, there was a good chance I would fail with the bass as well.
I floundered for the first couple of weeks after strapping on that cheap bass. I watched as many YouTube videos on playing the bass as I could find, purchased a passel of books, and signed up for a free trial at Scott’s bass lessons (which I cancelled within the trial period).
In my quest for knowledge, I came across a YouTube video explaining the best strap height. The video was presented by a laid back, humorous young fellow by the name of @JoshFossgreen . I began to follow Josh on YouTube, checked out BassBuzz, and soon decided it was him that I wanted to be my first bass teacher. I began the B2B course on June 15, 2019 and finished that September. Thank you Josh for kick starting a bass journey that should have begun decades ago.
Now, it’s a year later and not only have I stuck with the bass, I have become obsessed with perfecting my skills. It didn’t take long for me to replace that no-name bass with a 5 string Yamaha BB235, and then later adding a Ibanez SR375EF 5 string fretless. The cheap amplifier was quickly replaced with a Rumble 40, and later with a Rumble 100.
After finishing the B2B course, I completed another course on scales, where I learned every scale and mode. I then completed a course on chord tones, which provided me with a great insight into how chords are constructed and played on the bass as arpeggios, and how they’re affected by key signatures. I’m currently taking a sight reading course, with the goal of being able to instantly play any sheet of music without forethought. My next goal is to perfect my ears so I can identify tones and intervals. Yes, I’m obsessed.
My little practice area in a corner of the family room has grown into a mini music studio, which I have recently moved into the dining room (the dining room table has found it’s way into the family room). I mostly play fretless now, which I really love.
It’s been a great first year, which seems to have had a lifetime of music theory and playing skill crammed into it. I still have a long way to go, but I’m happy to have progressed from absolute beginner to where I am now. I couldn’t have done it without the help and support of everyone here on the BassBuzz forum.

Thank you, one and all. :musical_note: :guitar:

40 Likes

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to you, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What a wonderful odyssey!
Great inspiration to start the day.
Thank you @PamPurrs

7 Likes

Congratulations @PamPurrs :confetti_ball:
Happy Bassiversary :tada:

5 Likes

Congratulations @PamPurrs and many more years of happy bass playing!

5 Likes

Thank you Joe, my birthday is still a few weeks away. :cake:

3 Likes

Congrats on your bassiversary! I hope to emulate your journey.

Graeme

5 Likes

:wine_glass: !

Congratulations!

5 Likes

From novice to fret less in a year !!!
Congratulations and happy bassiversary :birthday:

6 Likes

Happy Bassiversary!

5 Likes

Congratulations @PamPurrs on your Bassiversary. Also a great big thank you for sharing your journey, it has for me been inspirational.
I also have appreciated your investigative journalism that you have brought to the forum. Looking forward to your new adventures when this lock-down is over.
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

7 Likes

Happy bassiversary @PamPurrs, and thanks for inspiring me. I wish to follow in your footsteps.
I opted to not purchase the scales course you did, and opted for @JoshFossgreen ebooks and private lessons with the author. I do think that other courses will be in my future in parallel with lessons when I am comfortably thru the books.

I will sign up or buy any future content Bass Buzz offers of course.

Again, happy bassiversary, early happy birthday, and thanks for the other stuff too.

7 Likes

Best wishes with that. I’m sure Josh will prove to be an excellent instructor.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your bassiversary.

Your concern of giving up the instrument is one I share. I tend to obsess with one hobby to a certain degree of knowledge and then drop it. So far I am still enjoying myself and I am not as far in my journey as you are but for me it wasn’t a journey into bass playing, but a journey into music, music theory and everything around it.

I hope I can keep the flame alive when I have to start working full time in the office again.

Regarding ear training: I do it as a filler exercise when I got nothing else to do or have to wait for a few minutes on something. I think it’s one of the things one should practice often instead of for a long time. So maybe it would help you to already start with such filler exercises. Then again I can completely understand that you want to structure your approach and not learn everything at once.

7 Likes

And then some!

Been there, done that! I figure if I get enuf Basses, there will always be one within arms reach when I am home, so they will a.ways be in my face screaming at m to play them.

I too wonder what will happen when I go back to work, but I don’t have to worry about that til November at the arliest, and even then, not sure if I am going t go back to what I have been doing for the past 27 years yet.

5 Likes

What a fabulous story and truly inspirational. Congratulations on following such a steady path!

7 Likes

@PamPurrs,
That’s pretty awesome. I had thought 47 might me too old to start. But no, it’s never too late! Thanks for the inspiration!

8 Likes

It was lovely to read that and an inspiration as I’m just starting!
Keep learning @PamPurrs

8 Likes

Happy bassiversary @PamPurrs! Glad I could help you get started.

Have you tried the Tenuto app for ear training intervals/chords/etc.? It’s the app version of this excellent site, and it’s only like $5 -

8 Likes

looks like our birthday are more or less at the same time ! (end of june for me)

anyway, glad you enjoy your bass journey !

5 Likes