Bassline of the month

Guys :smile:

There might be merit to both approaches!! I guess there is a real ā€œhurdleā€/threshold for many of us to post an entire cover. After all, it is probably no surprise that, apart from @terb and @Lanny, we havenā€™t seen a lot of covers from other members of the forum so far. While learning an entire song should always be the long-term goal, it is hard for someone who has never had to learn someone elseā€™s song the whole way through.

Perhaps, something that bridges the gap from the nice 20 second bits we all learned in the B2B course to full-length covers would help to lower that hurdle!? Smaller bites (like 1-2 minutes; definitely longer than in the course) and with some of the ā€œgroundworkā€ already done!? Like, for example, preparing (or providing) a track where the original bass is already removed (like @studio did)!? Or, providing some tabs or sheet music!? In that way, it would be the next step from playing along with Josh in the course and before you are ā€œon your ownā€ playing an entire song!?!

Kind of like en entry drug to the cover thread!?! :grin:

Also, @studio: donā€™t underestimate the impact of your ā€œchallengeā€. Even though people are very hesitant to post their efforts here, you can be sure that a lot of us spun up the bass-less track you provided and tried to play along (I know I did); I have to admit I might not post anything either, but I am happy to be challenged to practice - in this case - chugging with string crossing (something I am not too good at).

Anyway, just my 2 cents here :smile:

5 Likes

Actually a ā€œpost your bass licks hereā€ is a good idea too yeah :slight_smile:

I kind of litter the forums with mine while demoing gear. An official thread might be nice.

3 Likes

Go for it, @howard!!

2 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m confused about the definitions of ā€œCoverā€ or ā€œBaselineā€. I thought a baseline could be 10 or 15 measures of a song that has a cool baseline whereas a cover would be the whole song.
This is what I meant when I said the baselines shouldnā€™t need to be the entire song, just 90-120 seconds of it just for fun.
Iā€™ve been laboring for months to learn a couple of songs all the way through, and they are songs I have chosen. When I feel comfortable with them, I will post them under Post your Covers.
However, Iā€™m sure there are people who like being directed, and would enjoy being challenged to see who can do the best cover of a song that someone else chose.

2 Likes

There is no compulsion to do the whole song if you donā€™t want to. The Message in a bottle one I did repeats itself 3 times or more so you could just do a single run through.
The idea was to encourage people to play stuff they might not of heard before or maybe slightly outside of their comfort zone etc.

3 Likes

@studio Man, your playing has come a long way. Great job.

Smooth move with the coffee cup. :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser

1 Like

Ok, tried it, just a 1 minute clip, as mentioned, it is a Verse-Bridge-Chorus that repeats 3 times, then an outro thats the same as the Verse. This was an ā€œI wonder if I can learn a bassline in an hourā€ challenge for me, so, not too polished. But a fun one to learn, this is one of my fave songs by the Police. And yeah, the 8th notes in the Bridge were a tiny bit too fast, so I changed them into quarter notes :stuck_out_tongue: (doesnā€™t sound as good, but I do this sometimes!)

Just got some flatwounds too! Trying them out. Different. The verdicts out whether Iā€™ll like them better or not. For now, just different.

Here is the full song, raw mp3, with no bass, if anyone wants to download it and try to add a bass track to all or part of it:

4 Likes

@Vik Fantastic
That sounded really good.
I have recorded a short tutorial on how to play this tune using very simple bass lines and then getting more complicated if anyone is interested, I will post it up

4 Likes

Sounded good to me too, @Vik . . . :+1:

All best, Joe

3 Likes