Beginner bass for women

@EmK Pay special attention to this advice.
It will make your learning more enjoyable and less expensive :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Emk,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Actually…

I tried the KLIQ Aircell Guitar Pad and then a Walker & Williams Super Wide 4". Neither worked for me. :disappointed: Exasperated, I just decided to buy something “pretty” and ended up with a Revo strap. To my shock, they are the most comfortable straps I’ve tried. They are flexible and lightweight even though they’re made from wood. You can see mine in the Show-Your-Bass thread.

There is one catch, literally. These straps grab hair strands very easily, and they do not let go. :haircut_woman:t2:

6 Likes

Whatever works for you, that’s what’s important. We don’t want to see anyone give up on bass simply because of the weight on their shoulder.

5 Likes

@emme if it is any consolation, I DESPISE that KLIQ Aircell strap.
It is as slippery as an eel!
Actually, I think I will go add it to the giveaway page.

I wondered about that cocobolo strap and comfort.
I might have to try one out one day.

4 Likes

We do have an entire thread devoted to straps here.

3 Likes

My tip would be to try a few different basses (if that’s possible) and see what you find comfortable. My hands are on the smaller size, and I personally didn’t like the width of a P-bass neck but love the slimmer J-bass neck. I was actually advised not to start on a short scale, since it could cause growing pains when transitioning to a full scale bass.

5 Likes

Welcome @EmK

The most important thing that has been said in many of the above posts, are, the bass that looks and feels best to you is probably the right bass for you.
There is some debate on the topic, but many people find look and feel more important to SOUND. I am one of those people.
I think all beginners are, and most intermediates as well, as beginners and intermediates will not be able to tell much difference in tone woods and even strings or pick ups. As you grow and develope an ear, this is more of a factor, but even then.
With pedals, FX processors and computers with DAW’s (Digital Audio Workshop) like Garage band, you can make any bass sound like you want anyway.

So, if the shorter scale bass feels better to you, you may want to get it.
However
if you find a full size that you fall in love with, you may want to get that, and know you will be OK with your size and stature, and hand size, regardless of it is a big clunky neck, or a thin fast neck.

Get what you like best, so you can be excited to pick the bass up and practice every day.

3 Likes

Are you using it upside down? The pointy side goes down into your shoulder, not up :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be slippery.

3 Likes

Yes, the cells down.
I also find wide straps dig into my neck just enough to annoy me.
In the process of finding a strap for each bass, 2.5" ish.

3 Likes

How weird. Mine are not slippery at all.

I’m using this one (their Pro Bass) on my BB734A right now and like it so far:

https://comfortstrapp.com/

2 Likes

That seems like a different company.
This is the guy I don’t like…

1 Like

Oh it is - I have both. I’ve owned three AirCells (loved them all); I went with the Comfort Strapp on the BB734A because it’s not a light bass by any means and I wanted to try the next step up.

3 Likes

That’s odd! I have rather narrow shoulders and my 4.5 inch leather strap doesn’t even touch my neck.

3 Likes

I’m an odd duck @PamPurrs

3 Likes

Thank you everyone!
This has been very helpful. I think I will go to a shop then and try both kinds to see what feels most natural for me.
Again thank you :smiley:

9 Likes

:duck: Lol

2 Likes

If it floats like a duck, it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might be a moose.

3 Likes

A møøse once bit my sister…

6 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t a duck?

3 Likes