Beginner Class of Winter 2021 - How is it going?

I’m probably saying something you already know here but… Matt Freeman of Rancid is an absolute beast of a bass player. Even if you aren’t into Rancid, you should give Matt’s work a deep dive for some punk rock bass inspiration.

2 Likes

Billie Jean update: I tried the fast workout again this afternoon, after playing it a couple of times on my own and revisiting the medium workout, and it went… okay. Didn’t get it perfectly right any of the times, but one time went pretty close, though the pattern switch to D string still is kinda messy. Noticing that taking like 15 seconds to breath before trying again seems to help. Decided to count this as a win.

…but I still kinda wanted to nail it, and tried again after a couple of hours. Went considerably worse :sweat_smile: Yeah, moving on.

6 Likes

I know what you mean, @kowry . . . :slight_smile:

Hang in there!

1 Like

Yeah, Billie Jean is a tough one. What I’ve been doing as I go through the course is circle or note the lessons that are particularly tough or fun. My plan is after I complete the course, I can go back to all the hard lessons again and give it go. In the meantime, just spent an hour working on Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag. Tough one and it’s been making me irrationally angry because I cant quite get it.

5 Likes

I can relate. Struggled with Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag yesterday. Did better on the slow workout today but I skipped the medium and fast workouts for the first time because I was getting frustrated too. The next lesson turned the difficulty back down and included some new theory in it.

2 Likes

I started the course in September last year, so I don’t officially qualify for this thread, but I’m progressing at my own pace (read: slowly), and I was struggling with Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag only three weeks ago. Definitely a frustrating experience; I wrote about it in another thread. I eventually managed to play it kinda decently-ish at the medium tempo. Will have to revisit it at some point… Not really looking forward to that :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Hi everyone. I’ve recently got my bass and I’m learning things here and there but I know I wanna eventually take a course to solidify my learning. Here’s the thing. My 9 y/o daughter has also recently taken an interest in bass and I’m excited for her. I think it’d be a cool journey for us to learn together and I was wondering if y’all think the Beginner to Badass course is geared for someone her age. Thanks for hearing me out.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Indelaxiom,
I would absolutely recommend this course for a 9 year old, The way the course is structured and Josh’s fun style is addictive, motivating and would keep a young person enthusiastic.
The course gives a great introduction to music and once you purchase it, you have it forever which is really good because you can always go back over some or all of it.
Enjoy the journey with your daughter, it will be a lot of fun,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I think the pacing and bite sized lessons would work well teaching a child. Early on the lessons are easy and short so you can build up from zero experience without being intimidated or discouraged. And I think going through the course together would be an awesome experience for you two.

3 Likes

I’d say this course is absolutely perfect for your daughter,or any “young one”

The bitesized approach ,the extremely well judged pace from the very first lesson and the saturation of theory is really spot on.

My daughter went through two years of the well established music school process with violin and one thing that is strikingly different is the absence of fun from the well established - old school - process.
I feel that with the classic approach the onus is on the child to be motivated enough to learn.
While with B2B you get excited for the next lesson!

Don’t get me wrong,the classic approach does produce what it sets out to do…but it was developed in a time when kids stood to attention when a teacher walked into a class.
I am very impressed with how this course is structured and paced.
She will love it,I’m sure!

2 Likes

I just started last week! I’m in Module 2 somewhere, and I’m having a blast! My main issue has been to force myself to stop practicing, because I have to do other things in the day. Lol! :wink:

The way B2B is set up is soooo much fun, it’s additive! Prior to finding Josh’s course, I bought a class on Udemy by a guy who was trained at a prestigious music school. He obviously knew his stuff, but I was bored to death after I barely started. I love listening to classical music, but I don’t like to play it! Finding B2B saved my love of Bass! I still need to get a set up for my Bass, but it sounds pretty good. I’ll get it done most likely in the Spring. I’ve set up my Bass so it’s real easy to grab and practice. Nice to meet you all! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Is the dude’s name Rajiv Narang? If it is I bought the same course and quit after section 2 because of too much theory and no playing.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Can’t wait!

Hi everybody,
great to read from you all! I had to stay away from the forum for a few days because of this:

@Micki_Moss: Is this the Fender starter package with the Rumble 15 amp? I got the same deal but with a slightly different bass. A great way to start, I think!

I’m proud to say that I’ve finished module 7 and am ready to take up the next challenges. Reading the things those further ahead in the course have posted makes me very curious.

3 Likes

Hi Regina!
Yes, I got the Fender starter package. I think it definitely is a great way to start the Bass learning process, although I have to admit that I’m already eyeballing a Mustang Bass! Lol! :wink:
That’s fantastic on your progress! I’m still in Module 2, but I’m really enjoying the lessons. It’s so awesome to be able to play with great music right off the bat!

3 Likes

Yup! That’s the guy! Once I’ve completed the B2B course, I may attempt to go through Rajiv’s class again to learn more about music theory. Just starting out though, I need to make the process fun. B2B is definitely fun!!! :grin:

3 Likes

Hey Everyone!
This is my second journey on BASS. First was about 20 years ago and short lived, mostly just goofing around with some buddies who could actually play guitar and drums. I had no direction, lessons or clue. It was fun, but little in actual progress was ever made. This second go around started about 2 year ago in much the same way. Had a couple buddie wanting to get a band together after having not played regularly in years. They gave me the nudge to grab an old bass and see what happens. Used a barely holding together junker bass for a couple weeks with them, no amp, just plugged directly into the PA and some some very basic guidance on yousician. I was quickly hooked! Went out and bought myself a new Yamaha TRBX174 and a used Yorkville Bassmaster 200 115 combo and decided I was going to commit to this. Gave up on the Yousician after being encouraged to give Rocksmith a try on PlayStation. It was/is a great learning tool and pretty fun, especially if you ever played guitar hero, as the visuals are the same. Notes coming straight at you rather than left to right, so it’s kinda weird if your not used to it. But stated to get expensive adding songs all the time, so I needed something else…
I had been going back and forth for about a year now on signing up for the B2B course, wanting to improve on my technique, theory and improvisation. I originally found Josh on youtube, much like the rest of you, I assume. His videos we’re always much more enjoyable then some of the other online/youtube lesson guys. So… Finally I pulled the trigger last week and I’m happy I did! I’ve cruised through the first 4 modules and have found lots of little tips and helpful ideas that never occurred to me, just trying to learn on my own. Steady improvements even with just a couple sessions. Great course! Looking forward to the rest and continuing to progress!
I’ve upgraded to a new Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro IV, what a beast! And as soon as we’re free from this lockdown/covid goes away, it’ll be time to jam again!
I know that was a little long, apologies for the diatribe! Salesman, I can’t help myself.
LOW life from Alberta!

11 Likes

Purchased the same course (in addition to other non-Udemy courses) and none of them did the trick.
After one day, and into Module 2, I’m already feeling good with this one.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @Pontoon,
You should head over to the introduce yourself thread :+1:
you wont be disappointed with this course, it provides a great intro into bass.
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

Thanks Brian! I will certainly do that.

1 Like