Beginner Class of Winter 2021 - How is it going?

I’m having difficulty following the beat by listening to the drums or hi-hat like Josh recommends, I find it easier to keep my own internal pace

3 Likes

In the middle of Module 5. Trying to read music the right way.

5 Likes

I got through M11, so to speak. I don’t know if this module felt harder for others who have been through it, but I had trouble with both Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag and Pretty Pink Ribbon. Especially fast workout for “Papa” just feels tough to handle. Playing the wrong notes and messing up my plucking finger order. Pretty Pink Ribbon is a lot simpler, but the speed and changing note pattern still cause trouble. Not even completely satisfied with Folsom Prison Blues, because my muting on that needs work. Not sure if I should just move along just yet.

Anyway, today I did not feel like spending too much time on those and practiced some scales. At least got some sense of achievement from that.

2 Likes

@kowry Yeah, I remember those M11 lessons. My go-to lesson after trying to play “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag” would be “Song For my Father”, so I could think to myself, “See? At least there’s something I can play” :grimacing:

5 Likes

yep, i can second that

1 Like

Just starting the class, wish me luck.

11 Likes

@fosskers good luck! You’re in for a treat :+1:

1 Like

I’m just about to start Billie Jean today (M4 L5&6), but my husband and I did have a nice little morning jam to Sweet Home Alabama and With or Without You. I also fumbled my way through a vague memory of Shampoo Bottles (by Peach Pit) which was a disaster. But I look forward to revisiting it as I build my skills :slight_smile:
I want to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this course, and I can FEEL improvement with my rhythm and cleaner fretting. So thanks, Josh!

6 Likes

Yes, in the early lessons it is a little hard to hold back and play in time. In the later lessons the slow workout is going to be your friend!!

4 Likes

I had some extra time this week and I’m happy yet sad to say…

I guess I’m a BADBASS!!

I took the BASSASS part of the quiz today and I did good, but my timing is crappy on Module 10 Lesson 4, Some Kind of Wonderful. The notes are no problem, but getting the galloping sound going and keeping it going through the changes is giving me trouble. Anyway, I just chucked my mortar board and tassel into the air in excitement.

My plan is to try and do both the first and second songs of the 50 songs in 100 weeks challenge in the next two weeks and get on track with those folks.

To all my fellow Winter 2021 class members, I wish you all nimble fingers, good timing, and thumping bass lines!! I have graduated but I plan on hanging around like that old guy you see on campus and wonder if he is a student or a professor!!

All my best,
Richie

23 Likes

Congratulations, @BigRichieO . . . :slight_smile:

Good for you!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I am nearly halfway through the course, got to C major scale now and just having fun with it and improvising a few days before moving on - it’s truly been like being handed the keys to music (pun happened). It feels surreal how much I’ve progressed over the last almost four weeks; I remember thinking of getting to the scales module felt like ‘Yikes!’ but it’s turned out to be very enjoyable and useful. This is no doubt thanks to the course’s structure and how gradual progress is. And Josh being a nurturing teacher of course.

My biggest gripe technique-wise so far has been teaching my fingers to hover over the fretboard instead of ‘fly’ and keeping my hand relaxed. I remind myself that good technique doesn’t happen overnight and I am really not that bad either, but I’ve set a goal to do finger exercises for a bit daily and hopefully it will all click eventually. I’m sure it’s one of those beginner things to look back on with a smile. Well, I look at it with a smile already, it’s funny how fingers can rebel lol!

15 Likes

Same thing here, @TL . . . :slight_smile:

Good technique takes a long time to fully develop, but it sounds as if you’re well on your way . . . good luck with the rest of the course!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Congratulations @BigRichieO

2 Likes

I have hit pause. Once I heal up from the surgery we’ll get back on track.

8 Likes

M12 felt harder than the previous modules (just like M11 before it…). I can maybe say I got through three out of six of the fast workouts, but definitely need to return to Disco octaves, My Sharona and Red Clay. But it was a fun module, especially liked playing the two aforementioned songs, and Under the Bridge was fun too.

Now I have completed two thirds of the course (so to speak) in two months, but I’ll take the rest of the course slow and continue participating in the 50 songs challenge, plus probably keep revisiting the harder lessons. I’ll see if I can finish the course before June.

9 Likes

Well done! Congratulations @BigRichieO!!! :partying_face:
I’m still hanging around in module 9 but that’s ok. Yes, please come over and join the 50 songs crowd, it’s so much fun!

2 Likes

Hope you’ll get better soon, @Wombat-metal! We’ll still be here when you come back. :wink:

2 Likes

Where can I read more about the 50 songs challenge? Thanks

1 Like

Check out the this thread and for a short overview the FAQs.

1 Like