Beginner metal songs

So I wasn’t sure where to post this, but does anyone have any recommendations for some beginner friendly metal songs. Ideally more modern stuff like Deftones etc…but don’t mind dipping into some Sabbath and the like too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MattHinchliffe Do you have a 4 string or 5 string bass? There are a lot of good metal tunes out there just depending on the bass you have and if you want to drop tune (not for all metal music of course). I am pretty sure the Deftones may have played in a drop C tuning, and on other songs even went to G# depending on the song. There may be some Sabbath songs as well, however, their bassist gets pretty gnarly at times and can pose a challenge if you are looking for beginner stuff.

1 Like

I have a 4 string, and I have done some drop d tuning before. I can play quite a bit of Tempest by Deftones and some of Omerta by Lamb of God, just looking for some other stuff to try out that’s not too crazy :slight_smile:

I like playing all sorts but really like my metal, thrash and punk stuff :wink:

2 Likes

Iron Man, up to the final part is quite doable. KISS, Detroit Rock City. I’ve been planning on Breaking the Law and You’ve Got Another Thing Coming, AC/DC Highway to Hell.

Ghost Square Hammer might be a good one.

3 Likes

Of course you can take the way back machine and play the song that is considered the beginnings of metal, by the Kinks. You’ve Really Got Me. You can wail on that song.

2 Likes

Walk by Pantera is another possibility. That has a good groove to it

1 Like

Have a look on YouTube and there’s a few good tunes not ridiculously difficult that come up.
I’ve learnt Rock you like a Hurricane, Holy Diver, Wasted Years and a few others and of course the classic Enter Sandman.
Takes a bit of a bull by the horns and have a go attitude though and it can be frustrating but you will get there.
Oh and AC/DCs Thunderstruck is a real good one too

2 Likes

I also bought RockSmith for the Xbox. Good fun but I got bored quickly. You can however by songs or packages of songs to download for your musical taste

2 Likes