Beginner to Badass course

Just a quick question on this series, if you can play the “final” song in the lesson is it safe to move on or should you go through the entire lesson anyway? A major problem that I have is that I want to absorb all the knowledge but I find myself getting a little bored because I can play the lessons without any issue. I want to skip ahead to a more suitable place but I don’t know if I’d be doing myself a disservice by doing so. Anyone else have a similar issue?

7 Likes

Move on.

You can always go through the course a second time… many of us have.

7 Likes

I was thinking about doing that and maybe just checking out the theory lessons in each lesson. My main concern was maybe missing some wisdom that Josh gives out during the slower exercises or something like that.

6 Likes

You don’t want to miss out on Josh’s wisdom, or his incredible wit.

It’s up to you…

5 Likes

This is always a hard call. There are so many little details Josh shares throughout the course.

If you can stand to slow yourself down to listen to all of them, then do that.

If slowing yourself down makes you not want to play, then move on.

Everyone learns a little different and part of getting the most out of the course is finding a pace that works for you.

10 Likes

Appreciate the feedback from a couple of BassBuzz veterans. Thank you.

6 Likes

Before I started B2B, I had been practicing using free online lessons (both by Josh and from other channels) for about two months. After that, I was usually able to pretty much nail all workouts for the first three or four modules at the first attempt. I still did all of them though, not just for confirmation that I could do them, but also because Josh regularly expands on certain topics that he covered during the lessons in the workouts. If you skip lessons and/or workouts, you might miss some of those tips and tricks that I found valuable. However, most of that stuff will probably be repeated in later lessons, so it may not be a big deal.

10 Likes

I listen to all the easy stuff at 1.5-2x play speed to get through it quicker.

6 Likes

If you already play bass I suppose there is a lot you’ll fly through but some of Josh’s banter make it entertaining enough to keep watching

7 Likes

Absolutely right Pam. I run through these shapes and funk boxes every day.

5 Likes

How do students know when they should stay on a lesson/skill, even after they can play through it? At some point, I’m assuming most people have drills they like to do on a regular basis. Will there be recommendations for drills to practice on a regular basis, at the end of the course, or should I be bookmarking skills/lessons that seem important, now?

2 Likes

I think you have a good answer for your own question there. You should continue moving through the course but revisit earlier stuff as practice drills. Years later and I still use Billie Jean as a warmup, despite hating the song :rofl:

Josh does make some recommendations later but I would go with what you have already found, revisit stuff you nailed but found challenging.

3 Likes