Beginner to Badass Reviews? šŸŽø

Oh, wow that is easy! Thanks so much!

6 Likes

I believe that you are correct about this. I swear I caught him grinning a little after a few of them. I was glad for the little interruptions, if I could keep time it was proof that I had it down.

5 Likes

Hey Josh
This course has been fantastic. That we can take it at our own pace, with the opportunity to put each lesson into practice at different speeds is a great principle.
The course extras with access to the different songs is a great way to try things out too.
Like quite a few of the learners on here, Iā€™m completely new to any musical instrument and just wanted to give it a go.
I really feel like Iā€™ve learnt a new skill and have a fresh appreciation for rhythm and time when listening to music and just want to keep on going.
5 out 5 from me. :smiley:

10 Likes

Great Course, great Teacher, and well worth the cost. (My only complaint is there is no such word as ā€œlearntā€ā€¦I looked it up.LOL

7 Likes

I completed the course in 3 months then reviewed all the lessons to identify the training I still needed. Now I am working through the ā€˜50 First Songsā€™ and I deeply appreciate the software that plays notes while a vertical line moves over the music sheet. Noteflight.com are the creators. It is important for my confidence to know I am learning a song at the correct speed.

6 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Grammar Police discuss ā€œlearntā€

I completed B2B today. I opted for the 30 day plan and started it the day after I bought a bass. Iā€™d never touched a bass before, nor had any real musical training or played an instrument (a few very short lived (a few months) attempts at guitar and piano years ago). I started as a complete newbie, and finished the course in 33 days.

By ā€˜finishedā€™ the course, I mean doing all the lessons to the best of my current ability. I couldnā€™t complete some of the medium or fast workouts enough for me to consider having ā€˜passedā€™ that exercise, so my final count is 86 out of 109 lessons completed.

Iā€™m about to do the course all over again, but this time take it slow and spend more time on my technique before moving on. I have flying fingers and need to fix that! I will see about having a couple of lessons with a teacher in person to have technique and my awkward hand positioning assessed.

On to the proper review. This course is excellent. Josh is indeed a great teacher and explains the concepts in enough detail but nothing that is super overwhelming. I especially love that you use your bass and play in the lesson, which works great for brains like mine that learn best through hands-on activity.

There were times where I felt frustrated with myself for not being able to do something properly (hello Billie Jean!) but Josh is encouraging and so I kept in mind his advice of just working through things and you can revisit something down the track and be so much better at it. And heā€™s right, of course.

Value for money is excellent. For what I paid, itā€™s equivalent to about six in-person lessons with a bass teacher in my area. But with B2B I get all those great lessons, the forum, and of course lifetime access.

I feel this course has given me some great foundations to build on. I never thought Iā€™d even consider playing around other people, but my plan now is to improve my technique a bit and join some local social music groups, to play with others for fun.

I canā€™t say enough good things about how Josh has structured and presented this course, and his choice of t-shirts. Iā€™m looking forward to going back through B2B all over again.

Tips:

• Watch all the workouts because Josh often brings up new tips or concepts.
  • DONā€™T WORRY IF YOU ARE ā€˜FLUNKINGā€™ WORKOUTS. YOU WILL GET BETTER! When I started my pinky finger was so weak. Within a week of daily practice I noticed a difference. Now, a month later of daily practice (using B2B), Iā€™m not even thinking twice about my pinky.
  • Try to get your technique down as early as possible but donā€™t worry too much if you canā€™t, because itā€™s hard to manage those flying fingers! As Iā€™m working through B2B a second time, Iā€™m much more conscious of my fingers and doing better.
12 Likes

Congratulations @StartedAt48 !

4 Likes

My B2B Review

This summer, after being retired from teaching for a little over year, I suddenly had a burning desire to play bass. I thought about getting a bass for my 62nd birthday in October, but I just couldnā€™t wait. I bought a Fender Player Series Jazz Bass. After a month of trying out various YouTube videos, I found myself going back to Bassbuzz much more than any other channel. I am really impressed with Joshā€™s @JoshFossgreen teaching style! Iā€™m also impressed with the production quality on the videos as well as the quality of this website. I started the Beginner to Badass course in September as an absolute beginner and after completing the course this December, I have developed a life-long love for playing bass. (I actually donā€™t want to stop taking these lessons, so I bought a Squier Classic Vibe ā€˜60s Fretless Jazz Bass as a graduation present to myself to retake all of the lessons on and keep having more fun.)

I like how the lesson content spirals and interconnects. The progressions, chunking, and connections are thought out and work well.

The course provides the ability to build on a solid foundation of prerequisite skills.

I appreciate how theory and other musical concepts were presented in context in a fun, easy going way. I was able to better understand things I was taught previously along with new concepts by turning this theory into practical practice.

Josh is an amazing teacher! He really makes a positive difference.

His humor and enthusiasm make learning fun! His respect for his studentsā€™ learning process is shown throughout the course.

I am also thoroughly impressed with the both the technical quality and entertainment value of the video lessons. The lesson comments are helpful along with all of the course extras. The supportive BassBuzz Forum is an added bonus as well.

I like how there are different paces suggested for the course. (It took me three months to complete the course.) I also found it easy to customize things to match my own needs and learning style. I need a bit of repetition to help me get a better feel for what I am learning. An example of a schedule or routine that worked for me would be something like this:

If I was starting lesson 1 in a new module, I would go back and do each lesson 1 from previous modules as a warm-up and review. I would take a similar approach for a new lesson 2, etc. throughout the course. Having earlier lessons feel easier built confidence and helped me in learning new things.

There were a couple of things that I wish were covered in more depth. They are using a pick and tapping. I hope that these are included in a follow up course or courses. I look forward to when Josh puts out another course release. I most certainly will take it.

Taking Beginner to Badass is a positive, valuable, worthwhile, and fun experience. I highly recommend taking this course.

9 Likes

Congratulations @StevFargan ! Good on you, my friend!

5 Likes

If you have read this far in the reviews, my guess is that you are sold on B2B. I wonā€™t add much other than to say that I finished the course in roughly six weeks. I had never touched a bass before, but have had private lessons on other instruments. Josh is the best music teacher Iā€™ve ever had, and Iā€™m 57. He keeps the lessons fun, light hearted, and interesting. You start off playing songs immediately, and the emphasis is always on having fun.

The only negative that I have is that there is NO part two, and I really hope that Josh is working on that. I have continued on with instruction from two of the biggest names in online bass instruction. Theyā€™re both great with plenty of material and good instructors, but they are NOT Josh, and thatā€™s a big deal. Donā€™t hesitate to take this course. Itā€™s wonderful.

11 Likes

Congrats on finishing @BigBottom

No course 2 sadly, we are trying for mere t-shirts at this point (talkin to you @JoshFossgreen)!

6 Likes

CHNJ

8 Likes

Really appreciate the course, and wish there was a follow-up! Thanks!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @smerrell

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Welcome @smerrell !

4 Likes

Ayyy! Black tee/hoodie and orange logo, would 100% buy!

3 Likes

Hi, I love this lesson platform , i am about 12 lessons in , is there a way you can add a feature you can turn on or off that automatically checks for completion and moves to the next lesson and keep the screen wideā€¦ its jus because the bass is naturally heavy , and protecting the head stock every time i have to lean for to make the same modification for every lesson. would be such an awesome featureā€¦ just asking because i love your style and platform and as it works well with me i will refer every one i know to this learning programā€¦ please and thank you , sincerely Racquel Brooks

8 Likes

Finally completed the course and feel like I can play an instrument in a way that sounds like actual music for the first time in my life. Iā€™ve tried violin, piano, guitar, and even oboe, and got bored of every single one, never making it past the screech, off tempo mess stage. Part of it might be that I was always a bass player and just didnā€™t know it, but an even bigger part is this course as itā€™s really managed to keep up my motivation. Itā€™s incredibly well designed and Iā€™d recommend it to anyone.

I only have one criticism: We never got to know the tab for the intro that plays at the start of each lesson! Maybe itā€™s a secret message from Josh that we need to learn to transcribe and work it out ourselvesā€¦

Thanks for everything. Maybe Iā€™ll even end up in a band some day!

11 Likes