Grammar Police discuss "learnt"

My friend, you are wrong. There is a whole world outside of the USA that spells things differently. It’s nice out there (mostly).

12 Likes

I learnt something new today.

6 Likes

@Barney As a volunteer constable with the grammar police, both my colleagues and myself would like to applaud your input on this sensitive matter.

3 Likes

You are right sir. I stand corrected. I spoke before I looked the word up. I had been previously told it was incorrect.

4 Likes

Learrrrnnnned.

HH_USA

4 Likes

Lol OK @RuknRole but if Hulk Hogan is your role model for literacy, then I know where we stand.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, 54% of adults in the United States have prose literacy below the 6th-grade level."

3 Likes

4 Likes

Use of the word “learned” has absolutely nothing to do with literacy. But whatever floats the dinghy.

4 Likes

In this thread, we’ve learned that learnt can be learned, and that America can be summed up with girls in bathing suits eating burgers in the beds of raised pickups painted with an American flag motif on an aircraft carrier under the Statue of Liberty surrounded by fireworks and jet aircraft maneuvers.

“What a country!” - Yakov Smirnov.

:smiley:

4 Likes

Exactly! USA bashing was also unwarranted.

1 Like

A lesson learned is a lesson earned.

2 Likes

Add beer to the list! :wink:

2 Likes

Is it weird that after I typed that I wanted to add a Barnes & Barnes style, “yeah!” after it?

Like… “Roly poly fish heads are never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants with Oriental women, yeah!”

But… “America can be summed up with girls in bathing suits eating burgers in the beds of raised pickups painted with an American flag motif on an aircraft carrier under the Statue of Liberty surrounded by fireworks and jet aircraft maneuvers, yeah!”

2 Likes

5 Likes

Fair enough. I concede that America is the Greatest Country in the United States.

If you have Netflix, here’s the link to the comedy special.

4 Likes

Neckflits…Oh us illeterites can’t aford subscripcions on our minimom wage jobs. I do gets reruns on the free channels. The Flintstones are my favorate.

2 Likes

I’m from The Netherlands :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ no babies!

2 Likes

I also insist on using the contraction “amn’t” whenever I can :smile:

I fancy using the term horse hockey whenever it applies.

4 Likes