Beginner to Badass Reviews? 🎸

@RuknRole, did you know how to read music before you took up the bass? I ask because the Ed Friedland book apparently teaches the notes on the bass clef from the start, which seems like a Good ThingÂŽ.

2 Likes

No I didn’t know how to read Bass Clef. What I learned I learned going through book 1.
Yes that is a good thing about the book., but 3/4 down book 2, page 87, he introduces TAB and your eye automatically draws to it. Wish it didn’t do that.
I will probably revisit the book again at some point and finish it up.

4 Likes

B2B is a great online course.

It drives you through the very basics up to intermediate bass playing, with the exactly right mix of music theory and reading, all of that with the constant presence of Josh who really has a gift for teaching and pointing out the really important things.

I am 52 and as a former piano player (decades ago) and having studied some harmony and theory in the past I can just appreciate the way Josh seems to always present some of “theorical” subjects as something “easy” (which they actually are, but most people seem to be scared just of the thought of them) while driving the audience to build on them. That is particularly true in the matter of reading sheet music over tabs. Both are provided and Josh always cares to point that if someone just likes to follow tabs that is perfectly fine… just to remind a second later that maybe taking a second look at the sheet wouldn’t be that bad of an idea…

The course structure is meant to avoid unnecessary frustrations (even the ever present “Billie Jean” nightmare tends to dissolve overnight…and realizing that, after going on with the course, you have become able to play it just fine gives you a bump in self confidence) but not at the expense of “jumping over” things you really have to learn and practice if you want to play the bass.

B2B also gives you “pills” of different styles and grooves, which is a good way of exploring music one might have not yet listened to or appreciate.

I have completed the course in about 2 months, playing the bass as a real beginner about 2 hours per day almost every day which, I admit, is a lot of dedication. I could have completed it earlier had I not chosen (as I did) to follow in the same time another course by an Italian bass teacher and an Italian bass manual - both good, actually progressing similarly to B2B - just because I like to have different points of view for things and trying to play something aside from the courses. I think some of the more “theorical” modules went by as a breeze for me because of my former musical studies, so maybe I could have been quicker than others around them.

Am I a badass now? I would say I definitely am not (I spectacularly suck at slapping, just to say one, which is something I am going to work on) but I can say that what Josh teaches you in the B2B course is just what you need to become a badass with time and patience.

B2B is the perfect way of acquiring the tools a bass players has to have into his arsenal. Rome wasn’t build in a day… nor can be a bass player. But having solid fundamentals is the first, most important step of the process.

I would recommend B2B to anyone, not only to beginners. From the very beginnig up to the end I have never ever considered asking for the refund, as in the refund policy. That is very well invested (and very well earned by Josh and his organization) money. I would love having Josh produce a BSB (Badass to Super Badass) course (can’t be that hard, can it? It just needs to revert the 2 to a S :wink:): I would buy it the day it got to the market :slight_smile:.

10 Likes

Great course. In 3 months time I was able to complete the course and I hate to say it, but this is definitely more effective and efficient than working with a live teacher. The course is built up very clever, to acquire one skill after another. A lot to learn still, but that’s the beauty of making music. From this level on, as you summarized @JoshFossgreen working with a teacher could be a good follow up, but I will certainly look into a follow up course as well.

As a saxophone player this course / playing bass has enriched my understanding of music and during these months my sax playing has improved as well (timing, ears). Thnx! Would certainly recommend the course.

The only comments worth sharing on possible improvements: the musical intro for each lesson promoting the course can be skipped, the demo you give each lesson at the start is on such a high level of bass playing that instead of inspirational it might feel overwhelming. And I would have appreciated a longer duration of the extra practice clips…

8 Likes

Welcome @Gijs and congratulations on completing the course.

1 Like

Glad you are here @Gijs and congrats on finishing the course.

Also good to see another horn player on here!

2 Likes

Congratulations @Gijs
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I’m completely blown away with how much I got out of this course. I played guitar for 25+ years and was a little hesitant to take a “beginner’s” course. When I got honest with myself I had to admit I really was a beginner on bass. Every time I tried to learn on my own it always devolved into the obnoxious stereotypical shreddy things guitar players do when they pick-up a bass. I enjoyed Josh’s laid back yet passionate teaching style from his youtube lessons and decided to give b2ba a try. So glad I did! The progression has been carefully thought out and Josh’s passion, humor, and enthusiasm keep it fun the whole time. Playing guitar gave me two main advantages 1) my left hand muscles were already set to go and 2) I already knew scales/chords. But this allowed me to focus more on new things/weaknesses 1) finger plucking 2) rhythm 3) reading music.

I could tell Josh was the real deal and I expected that he would teach me to play bass. What I didn’t expect was to improve so much as a musician. It isn’t just the main content, but all the little verbal cues he provides in the workout videos. Things like “listen to the hi-hat it’s playing the 1/8th notes” yeah I probably should’ve known that but I spent all my time listening to whether my “BOSS OD3” or “Tubescreamer” sounded better and non-sense like that I was never listening to the drummer as closely as I should’ve. As an anecdote, I successfully transcribed my first bass song yesterday “Crooked Teeth” by Death Cab, in my notebook I wrote “syncopation on beat 2” - I never would’ve known what that meant before this course. Fantastic Course, worth every penny (lots of extras too, the 50 song pack is great and will keep me busy a while)!

10 Likes

Congrats on completing the course!
We do love Josh her and his bass teachery ways.

If you are interested…

3 Likes

Congratulations @dlamson13 ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Congratulations and welcome @dlamson13 !

3 Likes

Thanks all! I think I’ll give the 50 song challenge a go for 2022 @John_E

6 Likes

Problem is we have been spoiled :rofl:

I have been looking for a Bluegrass Banjo course with a teaching method approach similar to Josh’s in the B2B course. So far no luck. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Hey Josh,

I just finished the Beginner to Badass course today and have to say that I am so glad that I was able to find and take your course! As someone who had zero experience playing an instrument and was skeptical of online lessons in general, I can confidently say that this was the best use of my money in recent memory.

This course was fun, challenging, motivating, and easy to fit into a jam packed schedule.

Even some of my other musician friends were amazed at how much progress I made in the 3 months it took me to complete the course. After finishing, I am sad it is over, but I definitely feel badass. At this point, I have the knowledge and tools necessary to take on any challenges that may face me as a bass player.

Can’t wait for the next course to come out.

Thanks So Much!
-Dave

8 Likes

In the mean time, you may want to check out the 50 Song Challenge :+1:

5 Likes

I think that is a great place to continue playing!

3 Likes

Beginner to badass is a program geared toward the absolute beginner that doesn’t completely bore the already accomplished musician.
For those Starting with zero experience, the lessons are very well defined and progressive modules create an aggregate knowledge effect.
The inclusion of music theory, music reading, Ear training and good proactive practice habits happens, but they come in bite-size pieces-meaning they aren’t imposing or prohibitive to progress. Simply following the lessons leads to a good understanding of musical structures.

The lessons come with a nice package of course extras, including curated songs, jam tracks and supplemental videos on topics through the YouTube channel. Also, there is assistance in almost real time. If you post a question on a lesson, you will receive a comprehensive answer quickly.

If you want to learn to play bass, if you want to learn at your pace, if you don’t want it to crack your bank account, look here.

They’re isn’t a place to post stars here, so…milky way?

5 Likes

Lots of thoughts. The course videos alone, I give 3 stars. The vids, course materisls, extras, and community here combined A+. Overall good value.

As to the course vids/format–I enjoyed the bitesize approach and practice speeds. Difficulty-wise, I thought it started waaay to slow. For an absolute beginner–mom just got me this 4 stringed thing what do I do with it–probably right on. I plan to have my 8 yr old do the course.

But for anyone with a bit of music background, it was too slow. I guess i thought the course would be more like the youtube vids in terms of length and depth. I was hoping for more expanded lessons in the blues box type vids. Also would have liked some more scale work, focusing on different positions/octaves.

I would have liked 16th notes introduced earlier on. Would also have liked more time spent on synchopation/counting/groove. That said, the beat counter, left hand, right hand song breakdowns were nice. On the other hand, I understand why the slapping module is there marketting-wise but i just don’t think it is beginner material.

All that said, i think the course suceeds in taking a total noob through the basics with a pretty decent grounding to choose their path ahead. Its gives you a decent enough overview so you know what you dont know.

The course extras, booklet, and 50 songs are a Huuuge value and really make the course worth it in my opinion.

Also the community here and the fact Josh responds to questions is awesome.

I would def recommend to a total newb.

I hope there is an intermediate followup.

[Edit: should add that the course was fun! and that on the stuff i thought was too basic. I still got value by modding the exercises–doubling notes or adding octaves. I also really liked the get down to business style]

5 Likes

Absolute 10/10 course. Your lessons are easy to follow and gave me a solid foundation right from the beginning. I had no prior knowledge of music theory or how to correctly play, but after completing the course I now have a good understanding of how to create basslines, read music, play different styles, and jam with a band!

Most importantly, you makes learning the bass FUN. I was always psyched to do more lessons and quickly noticed the progress I was making. You are an incredible teacher who kept each lesson exciting while providing pro tips on how to improve. Thank you again for the great course, and all of the extra post-course content we can practice as well. I seriously can’t recommend this enough!

10 Likes

Good to see you are here and liking the ride! If i could, I’d suggest you head over to the introduce yourself thread and meet the community. While bunch of really great people here.

3 Likes