Best age to start playing bass?

I am gonna play a flute now
leaves in embarrassment

JK, Ellen is a wonderful bassist! <3

2 Likes

I think if your grandson is interested and willing, let him start to learn whatever he is able to absorb. I had a Gretsch Junior Jet and it was great to begin learning on. No regrets. I started playing at 54. Knowing how much I enjoy it now and realizing how little I know with less of life ahead of me, it would’ve been nice to have learned as a child and been able to enjoy throughout my earlier lifetime.

1 Like

55 too!

2 Likes

I’m really hoping the answer is “47.”

3 Likes

Best age? between 11 and 20 years old. A great many famous bass players started in their late teens.
(I do not count classical musicians trained from an early age.)

I do not believe that a 3, 4 or 5 year old child knows what s/he wants to do in life. At that age, my brother (he started playing the piano as a teenager) wanted to be a city bus (a vehicle, not a driver!!).

Ofc you can try earlier, but without pressure, the child will abandon new interest in favor of another temporary passion. A small child loses interest after a minute, and brutal training is needed to keep it. I’ve heard about taking away all toys except the instrument. And as the child needs stimulation, s/he will practice playing because has no other choice🙃 The guys from TwoSetViolin call such parents “tiger parents” and a lot of people (including my Mom) have terrible memories because of it.
That’s why watching videos with little Ellen makes me feel unease. But I’m sure her daddy dearest and mommy dearest are proud :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, one of the reasons I dislike child prodigy videos. Pretty good odds that that little virtuoso is gonna ditch that instrument the moment a new shiny hobby comes along. Which makes you wonder how much of this is voluntary.

I remember I played guitar a bit at 6. I remember nothing about the skills (or lack thereof). I wish I had kept with it.

:100:

3 Likes

From experience teaching guitar and ukulele you are right.
I will not take on a student under the age of 10.

At jams I have seen mothers/parent drop their children off and use us as a baby sitting service and then go shopping or bar hopping. The problem is a lot of the time the mother/parent is not there to collect their child at the end of the jam session which is a big issue.

Now we insist that the parent stay with the child - if they don’t agree they are told to leave. Sounds mean but that’s the only way we allow young children at our sessions.

In several instances the parent has agreed but felt that they could leave part way through anyways. This was happening way too often so now the parents are warned right from the start that if they are not there at the end of the jam session the proper authorities will be notified and the parents will have to deal with them. Some parents still don’t listen but learn pretty quickly that we meant what we said.

2 Likes

honestly, age doesn’t matter, short of physically being able to play.
what matters is desire.
desire can come at 8, at 19 or at 10.
But that is for long term stick-to-it-ism.

But if a kid wants to explore something at a young age, why not?
Who cares if they give it up?
They may come back to it, or move to something else, but you gave them the experience and they are learning what is available and what they are/are not passionate about.

Not every start needs to end in a lifelong committment (thank goodness, re: marriage), young or old.

1 Like

I can’t agree with this. A child under 10 has such a short attention span. IMHO

I do not charge for lessons so it matters to me.

2 Likes

Damn! That kid is on fire. What a natural he is.

I love watching people play well. I couldn’t care less if they are tiny prodigies or seasoned veterans who clawed their way over decades to be able to play. Music is joy, and watching someone transcend into a joyful human is inspiring to me.

Not watching young talents play takes no effort at all. But for those who find value and, more importantly, joy in it, have fun.

2 Likes

Desire can come young. Here is Suzuka around 8 at a school recital.

One of the things this generation will deal with is everything is recorded.

In an interview, she was asked once about singing at a young age, and she replied “If they were to take away singing, there would be nothing left. I say that with honesty.”

Here is Suzuka from a month ago, interesting how her natural right hand movements are incorporated into the choreography, and that in watching the first one, how early she had habits.

I went through my teens at the same time as Brooke Shields, and her mom is a prime example of a bad stage mom. But to condemn all kids for that doesn’t work. Suzuka is an example of someone born to the stage. She was scolded growing up for singing too loud in the house, so she would spend her allowance and rent out a karaoke room and sing by herself. Yeah, she’s a bit quirky.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve had a chance to see what everyone had to say. And, after observing my grandson’s attention span, I’ve decided to wait until he’s ten years old. Then, I’m going to NOT LET HIM CHOOSE, AND MAKE HIM PLAY BASS! Just kidding, I’ll let him play whichever instrument he chooses…as long as it’s Bass. :rofl: I can’t help myself! :rofl:

4 Likes

Miyako started taking piano lessons at 4. In her teens she decided she wanted to shred. Here she is doing both

1 Like

That’s great for her, and Su. But there’s a music cultural thing about kids here where that’s often not the case.

My wife took piano, drums, and (later) R&B singing lessons from childhood all the way through college. She’s quite good, especially at piano, and was encouraged to go pro by her instructors.

She hasn’t even looked at an instrument since the moment she turned 20 and no longer had to. No interest in playing music whatsoever. Obviously I am bummed about this :slight_smile:

Kids are frequently made to do a lot of things they don’t want to themselves, that aren’t necessarily visible to the outside world. And what may seem like motivation and talent often isn’t.

What to look for is curiosity and self-seeking of more. That shows real interest, and you just can’t discern that in youtube videos.

2 Likes

You can’t by watching YT. There’s a cooking stream I watch where she has a child that started playing a toy piano all the time. After a year at age 3 she started lessons. Sounds like age appropriate ones at that

And that’s the way to go.

My point is it’s not always parents forcing the kids. Sometimes it is. You should follow the kids lead and nurture that.

If Ellen were to decide to give up bass and do a knitting channel, how many of her fans would support that? If you truly support her, you’d be all for her knitting. That’s where fans get toxic and I’m uncomfortable with kids having YT channels.

2 Likes