Best age to start playing bass?

I have a grandson, currently four years old, who’s showing a lot of interest in music. What is the optimal age to start him out on bass or guitar?

8 Likes

You’re late - should have started last year :grin:

Apparently Ellen here started at 3 years old:

12 Likes

LOL! Well, he got a cheap ukulele this last year, to see if he’d be willing, and he is. I was just thinking about scale length and his size.

6 Likes

Kids are a lot more pliable than us old folks and don’t care about comfort and reach etc. Ellen figured it out and so will he.
A Gretsch Jr Jet is a great place to start as a short scale. He will figure out the reach.

6 Likes

I was also looking at the Squire Mini P Bass. Thoughts?

7 Likes

Same. Good choice too

5 Likes

I’d suggest going with the Mini P. The form factor will be similar as he grows and moves up to short scale and long scale.

5 Likes

Hey Rodney,

my grandma was a pianist and said most people recommend around 6 years, “so the children have some understanding.”

My take is that the teaching style has to match the starting age. I taught a four year old English (as my job) and she was so bright, she could have easily started earlier - but I felt weirded out because I was afraid her parents were pushing her too hard.

Enjoy hanging out with your grandson! Try to put yourself into his shoes: what does he want to explore? What opens doors later (like a foundation from proper instruction and practice)? And allow him to beautifully fail and learn.

Cheers
Antonio

PS: Give it some years and that four year old I taught will speak better English than me! :wink:

4 Likes

The earlier the better. My biggest regret in life was not taking music seriously until my 30’s. I imagine where my skill level would be right now had I even started five years sooner :sob:

3 Likes

I wish my whole band had taken it more seriously in college, when we had the time, instead of 30 years later, when we don’t :rofl:

2 Likes

Whenever they show interest. My 8 year old daughter took piano but couldn’t stick with it. She seem to like the ukulele right now so we’ll see. She plays a couple of verse on bass but not the entire song. I’ll let her go at her pace for now.

1 Like

Well, duh! 47 is the best, OF COURSE!

4 Likes

Yes, I would agree… but, what point is there in regretting something you can’t change anymore?! I am happy I found back to actively making music four years ago and feel this was one of my better decisions in the past ten years :wink:

3 Likes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b55DrsrY_PY&feature=shares

10 Likes

I like how he is digging in :smile:

3 Likes

Bass is a tricky instrument. It’s quite easy to start but difficult to master, lol.

2 Likes

That’s some serious bass face! :grin:

4 Likes

I started playing six string when I was 16 - after 56 years of little progress because I did not enjoy practicing - found the one I love - a bass - now I love playing it when ever I can and even more enjoy learning with Josh - so my answer is 72!

2 Likes

The best age to learn any hobby is when you want to. Everything is a time commitment and you’ll only enjoy it if you have a desire to do it in the first place. Physical limitations have never held back anyone who was great

2 Likes

I started after age 50. Granted, I played tuba in high school and college, sang bass in barbershop quartet and church choir for 25 years and played piano for 3 years… So I’m not stranger to music but when you’re older, you are more focused and know what you want and thus I believe take it more seriously.

1 Like