Best amp for $500ish?

so many options. i got decision paralysis. looking at 100-200 watts.

2 Likes

Mid size FENDER Rumble

5 Likes

Amp or combo?

2 Likes

I cant fault my 100w Rumble. It has kept up with 1 very loud drummer I once had the misfortune of jamming with and has been plenty loud for the small gigs we perform.

5 Likes

whatever is the best deal

3 Likes

A Fender Rumble 200 is $562 on Amazon right now, but it’ll likely be at a discounted Black Friday price soon.

2 Likes

Have you checked out the Amppeg Rocket Bass combos?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RocketB115--ampeg-rocket-bass-rb-115-1x15-inch-200-watt-bass-combo-amp

I think if it were me I would be comparing the sound between that and a Rumble in that price range.

7 Likes

So I love my Rumble 100 … but … I just saw a darkglass 200 watt head for 499.99 is out. Actually 2 versions. An Alpha-Omega and a Microtubes version! I love the darkglass tone.

2 Likes

For $30 more you can have the 24th anniversary version

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Studio12CAnn--ashdown-25th-anniversary-studio-12-1-by-12-inch-120-watt-bass-combo-amp-tweed

I’m partial to this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata210Bass--boss-katana-210-bass-2-by-10-inch-160-watt-combo-amp

1 Like

Could not agree more with the Rumble 100.
@Old_WannaBe stated in the original post a 100-200W range.

I would say that I would not purchase a Rumble 200 but would prefer to step up to the Rumble 500 for about another $100. For that additional $100 you are getting a 350W amp, without the external cab, and 2 x 10" speakers. If I ever upgrade, the Rumble 500 is what I will get but as you say the Rumble 100 has more than met the requirements for small gigs and jam sessions. This is the only reason I did not get the Rumble 500 from the get go. Also, on larger venues there is usually a PA system you can plug into.

Here again with amp selection we are in the realm of personal preferences once you decide what wattage you want. The Rumble 100 has a 12" speaker and moves a lot of air. NOTE: I tried a Rumble 40, which has a 10" speaker, but discovered very quickly that the sound difference was quite notable to a 12".

These are just my observations and opinions based on using the Rumble 100 over the last 2 years. YMMV

7 Likes

Q: What amp should I get in the $500 range?
A: Depends.

6 Likes

I found my Rumble 500 used for under 500. And it’s under 35 pounds since it was already upgraded to Eminence Basslites. They are out there and folks will be getting rid of stuff for holiday cash

2 Likes

I would do some research. The Fender Rumble is a good buy, but just like with basses there are many options out there. I really feel that the amp is underestimated for bass unlike guitar amps.

Maybe think about the sound you like and do some listening on YouTube?

2 Likes

First time I jammed with a drummer I had a Rumble 100. I couldn’t hear myself at all. I got an Ampeg BA 210 a few months later and that has plenty of volume. I bet you could find a used one for less than $500, maybe less than $400.

2 Likes

The Orange Crush Bass 100 has apparently gone up to $600 (booo, it was $570…) but I’ve seen it go sub-$500 on a sale. If I was buying a heavy as shit 100W 1x15 bass combo that would be the one. I think it weighs 55-60lbs. They might go for that used for all I know. But I fell in love with that thing and nearly bought one for $480 or something.

But this is all so subjective anyway. See Howard’s answer :joy:

1 Like

so i have eliminated ampeg micro cl, peavy, markbass jb, and the hartke kickbacks. want something that has good all around response, don’t need a bunch of frills and switches, want an xlr and ability to expand if needed.

2 Likes

8 out of 10 amps from $300-$550 would put a smile on your face. Anything in this price range I’d go with big brands. The next step up the $1000-1200 that’s where the bias really comes in to play and you need the bias.

1 Like

my hesitation on the rumble 100 is it seema to distort when the bass is turned past 12:00 based on a bunch of online demos

You can get a TC electronic 250 watt head for $219 and a Seismic Audio 210 cab for $199

2 Likes

Check out Sweetwater used gear. I just saw several nice amps on there

1 Like