Best analog synth plug-ins for USD 50 or less?

Vital is outstanding. Vital actually stands up well against other places paid products.

Thereā€™s a few excellent free synths for sure; I would probably start with Vital and Surge. Those two alone would take you a long way.

Vital is much nicer to use than Surge though.

Oh, and Dexed. Itā€™s outstanding. I keep forgetting it because I have the V collection DX7.

If you want a DX7 and learn the pain of early FM synthesis (but end up with great sounds), Dexed is great. Itā€™s actually much easier than a real DX7 was too.

2 Likes

Thanks, @sshoihet and @howard: more stuff to check out, more choices - hope to dive deeper on these and the Cherry Audio synths (and the Arturia demos) over the weekend :smile:

1 Like

Could be interesting (and sentimental). DX 7 was one of the iconic synths I grew up withā€¦ yet, I donā€™t want to dive too deep in the synthesis part - Iā€™d prefer loads of presets for now :laughing:

1 Like

Oh it has a bunch. It might be able to load old DX7 SYSEX files too; this often works on synths modeling older gear. I have all the old ESQ-1 patches I used to love working with SQ80-V now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just verified, Dexed can load DX7 sysex files; thereā€™s many sites with archives of those.

1 Like

Hah, thanks for looking more into this. I feel another rabbithole opening up wide :wink:

1 Like

Oh yes. Synths are an infinitely deep hole for time, cash, sound sculpting, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah I am staying away from synths :joy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

One of the biggest challenges I face as I try some of these possible solutions is that there are sooooo many crappy sounds that I will never ever use - itā€™s really hard to find the few that sound good.

I realize this is, of course, the power of synths that they can make just about every imaginable sound (and even those unimaginable), but, boy, it means that every bank of presets or patches is bound to have only 2-3 % OK sounds in itā€¦

Maybe I should stick with the Alchemy synth in Logic for now (or the ES2) and learn how to tweak the few good sounds to get even better ones :scream: :grimacing: :joy:

2 Likes

Hm, OK, maybe I found a really cool one - all analog (no FM, no waveforms, ā€¦):

An Oberheim OB-X emulator; has a lot of gorgeous leads, pads/strings and bass - quite amazing actually. Itā€™s free to download (and you can donate if you like it; EDIT: apparently, they only expect you to pay if you use the software/sounds commercially - cool!!).

2 Likes

Honestly my favorite synthesis is wavetable, but YMMV.

If you want pure analog, it is very easy to make, for example, a Prophet clone yourself from scratch in any general purpose synth. It took me like five minutes in Phase Plant when I did it. Sounded great too :rofl:

Pigments could do this easily if you didnā€™t like the stock Prophet-like patches.

The early analog synths were very simple and constructing them in modern synths is a great way to explore and learn subtractive synthesis. Understanding this actually will go a long way to shaping sounds for other instruments too (like bass).

A classic :slight_smile:

Sure, why not? This is actually a great idea.

1 Like

I spend so much time FA I never even get to the FO :laughing:

I have a sub to NI Komplete Now and I mostly spend time watching videos about what to do with it and never get to actually using it :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

:wink: Potentially, you are underestimating the effort a bit, but you may for sure be overestimating my abilities in this directionā€¦ joke aside, this is really what I was hoping to avoid from the get-go.

Anyway, I should be set for now with the OB-Xd. I might miss out on a few nice DX-7 or D-50 sounds, but itā€™s not like I am getting heavily into synth-pop or something like that :grin:

There is certainly truth to this, and I hope to pick up knowledge as I goā€¦ I donā€™t think I am ready for a full-on deep-dive, though!

1 Like

TAL Software (tal-software.com) ā€¦ Or if you donā€™t want to spend money and still want some good analog sound. TAL Noisemaker is quite a staple. It has a basic subtractive two oscillator, filter, and envelope synth design (In my opinion itā€™s the closest to Minimoog in sound and Pro1 in layout) and it sounds great for the price. Well, good enough for quite prominent producers to use it in their major releases.

2 Likes

Definitely. Good callout.

1 Like

For anyone interested - currently on sale for USD 59/EUR 65:

1 Like

I presume youā€™ve got a midi controller @joergkutter but when i bought my Arturia MiniLab MKII it comes bundled with ā€œAnalog Lab Liteā€ with 500 sounds from the V-Collection.

All that for 80 euro is nuts.

2 Likes

Yep, thanks, I got two actually (a big one and a small, 2-octave job. Sadly, none of them came with a similar goodie pack as the Arturia - thatā€™s a nice deal indeed.

In this particular case, however, it is not about just any analog synth, but probably THE most classic one of them all :wink:

1 Like

Analog Lab has one :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s V Collectionā€™s:

Analog Lab has selected patches from all the V Collection synths. In a way itā€™s the best ad for V Collection imaginable, but really for anyone not in to sound design on synths itā€™s enough. You can even tweak the patches a bit (though not as much as if you had the V Collection synth, of course.)

1 Like

:heart: Moog!

There was something PITA with this plugin tho, think it only ran in LUNA. Hope they changed that.

Edit: seems they did, itā€™s running on native now, nice!

1 Like