All Things Midi Including Controllers

Never tried the IK plugins but assume they would be good, they have a good reputation and everyone loves Amplitube.

I just demoā€™ed them both, very different, oddly enough.
The IK sounds a lot cleaner, and gives you a lot more leslie options and controls.
The Arturia sounds a bit dirtier, have built in ā€˜roomā€™ enviornments (warehouse, studio, etc) but has less leslie options and controls.

I liked the interface on the IK more.
Will do some research a bit more and listen to others and await a sale.

2 Likes

This is the way of plugins for sure. Find the one you want, wait a month or two, and save 80% :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of which, right now on PluginBoutique:

All three of these are top notch mixing/mastering plugins.

1 Like

Itā€™s so funny. I am kind of GASing for the V Collection Prophet-5 and Juno, which is really pretty silly, because either would be easy to just make in either Phase Plant or any other modular synth. Especially the Prophet; itā€™s more or less a perfect, simple little synth. Probably a great place to learn synthesis, actually, just like my ESQ-1 was.

1 Like

It just took me less than five minutes to make a Prophet-5 in Phase Plant, it turns out :slight_smile:

(I forget where the Unison is applied on the original synth - I just threw it on both oscillators, which is probably wrong.)

Sounds pretty much like a Prophet-5, too:

Thatā€™s raw, not really mixed or anything, no effects. The kick is from the SQ-80 V. great kick.

3 Likes

Yep. Nice clip and the kick is great indeed!

1 Like

Thanks! Might do that song as a cover, weā€™ll see :slight_smile:

No bass though, lol.

Having had it for a while I am super happy with the Arturia KeyLab 61 MkII. The keybed is just perfect.

2 Likes

Yes, the Arturia is a very nice keyboard, and yes the key bed is nice. It was a bit to soft for my liking, but I can see it for someone who does a lot of synth stuff as you do.

You had the Essential, right? The MkII keybed is different and way way better. It is definitely a synth keybed though, yeah - literally in fact, it is the keybed from the Arturia MatrixBrute.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. I do however recall looking at the MKII 88 and it was way more expensive than Iā€™m prepared to pay. I ended up with the M-Audio Hammer 88 which suits me perfectly. If I ever upgrade it will be to the MKII 88.

1 Like

Yeah the 88 is also different and has one of the best keybeds you can buy for piano feel - the Fatar TP/100LR. But it ainā€™t cheap for sure. The Hammer 88 should last you a long while :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 month update on my Arturia MiniLab MkII Midi Controller.

Itā€™s a big thumbs up (for my simple needs). If I want to work on an exercise from my Talking Bass lessons and say itā€™s a chord progression of C Am D G. I can pull out the controller, fire up Garage Band and create a loop in about 15 minutes. Then jam over the top of it working on the bass exercise Iā€™ve been given. Minimum Midi time, maximum bass time.
The added bonus is that (as @howard has previously pointed out) learning theory of chord tones is so much simpler on a piano keyboard. The whole flattening the third, suspending the third etc is much more visual.
Itā€™s only $120US, has a nice feel to the keys, not as nice as my wifeā€™s weighted digital piano but still decent dynamics and Iā€™m probably using about 0.005% of itā€™s capability.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniLabMk2--arturia-minilab-mkii-25-slim-key-controller

7 Likes

Awesome!

Yeah, Iā€™m totally sold on Arturia too. Lots of other good brands out there but their stuff is top notch.

3 Likes

I have a Keylab Essential49ā€¦really happy with their stuff to include my AudioFuse Rev 2 DAI

3 Likes

Yes Arturia does make some great stuff, and their customer support is superb. I had the Keylab 49 for awhile and liked it, except for the soft keybed and all those slides, knobs, pads, and buttons that I not only found to be of no use to me, but also rather annoying. I also wanted the full 88 keys with hammer action.
If it was in my budget, I may have traded it for the Arturia MKII 88, but it too has all those controls that I donā€™t need. I ended up with the M-Audio Hammer 88 with which I am quite pleased.
Itā€™s great that there are so many MIDI keyboards available to suit a multitude of wants, needs, and tastes.

1 Like

I have a question for the Arturia owners (@howard @sully et al). Is your Analog Lab IV and Analog Lab V the full version or just the demo version? The reason I ask is because the one I have, which came with the Keylab Essential 49 that I had, is only the demo version (times out after 20 minutes). Iā€™m curious if this is all they give you with those keyboards, or if there is a way to activate the full version. To purchase the full version of AL V is $199.99 (OUCH!)
I rather like Analog Labs V but would rather not have to shell out 200 bucks for it.
Thanks.

Pam

I believe it is the full version

2 Likes

Okay then, Iā€™m going to contact support and ask why I only have the demo version. Thanks