Best bass for beginners

All things being equal, I’d go with Schecter. It’s rare to choose anything over any Yamaha but in your case it is.

Do you have pictures or links to both bass to see the condition?

2 Likes

3 Likes

This is the yamaha

4 Likes

Trans red and gold hardware. Assuming that the truss rod works I’d go with Schecter. That’s a steal. Correction, both are great deal.

Hit me up if and when you want to upgrade your pickups. I’ll share my thoughts.

1 Like

I’d go with the Schecter : great price and a very cool looking instrument!

Worth budgeting in taking the bass to a guitar tech to get it set up properly - intonation, action etc. - unless you are happy to do this yourself.

Bass Set-up

(I paid someone :wink:)

2 Likes

Hi there, & welcome to the forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself here: Introduce Yourself! (2023)

I’d go with the Schecter, as I already have a Yamaha. :wink: Both are excellent choices.

Pros

• Price - you won’t get strap locks and the hardware on the Schecter at this price range
  • Both should have great playability (assuming a setup)
  • The Schecter is neck through which some people like for the sound

Cons

• The tone switch on the Yamaha is not really that useful, it’s more something to play around.
  • No fret dots on the Schecter can be both slightly inconvenient for a learner but maybe a way to learn the positions well - you’ll have dots at the top of the fretboard anyway.
  • You need to open the electronics compartment to change batteries on this Schecter every now and then.

The best bass is the one you play! Just buy one after flipping a coin, I’d say. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Antonio

2 Likes

Another option at that price, buy both and sell the one you don’t play :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s a great advice. That’s my motto. Why buy one when you can get two twice the price. lol.

2 Likes

So’s the Yamaha :wink: Both need batteries, no difference there. The Yamaha doesn’t have a passive mode, don’t know if the Schecter does.

1 Like

Update. I had decided to go with the schecter but i was too late someone beat me to it. I might go with Yamaha. Just seen this ESP LTD C-304 though i like the look of it but cant really find any reviews on it. I know im probably am making this harder than it should be lol. I just want to feel good about what im going to be playing. Heres the ESP C-304 LTD.

1 Like

I’d say just go for it.

Buy the one you like the look of. If you don’t like it, then you can always sell it on…

BTW, the Ltd looks cool.

2 Likes

ESP LTD’s are about a similar quality level to Yamaha. Price for price the Yamaha will likely have better pickups but otherwise both will be excellent.

A big plus of the ESP there is it has a 3-band EQ as opposed to the 304’s 2-band plus relatively useless blade switch.

I started out on a TRBX304 and upgraded to a TRBX604 to get the active/passive switch, better pickups, and 3-band EQ. If you can find a TRBX504 it will be a better instrument than any of the others you have listed so far, IMO.

Exactly. You have done enough research. Asking other people (like us) is fine, and at the same not the decider. Go for it!

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: If you buy active, look for easy access to the battery. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

LOL that’s how I ended up with 17!

4 Likes

So @RW2988 what did you get?

Going to be picking up the ESP LTD C304 today.

2 Likes

Drove an hour to go get the bass and there is a crack in the body smh the search continues.

Yamaha :slight_smile:

The 304 is great and the 504 is even better. Also don’t sleep on the BB234 or 434.

ESP is owned by the same guy who owns Schecter. Good quality both lines

Probably going to wait a while until i can really afford something i like.

1 Like