Best Bass Gear Mail Order Shops In UK

Hi being new to learning the bass, I don’t have much experience in buying bass kit and accessories online in the UK.

My current equipment came largely from PMT, which so far I have found excellent - responsive and quick delivery even in current times of lockdown.

But I’m wondering what other recommendations anyone in the UK has for trustworthy outfits that do mail order for bass kit etc?

I’d like to have some options for stuff I buy down the line.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

I’m in the Netherlands, and I always end up at Thomann.de. Good prices, fast shipping!

1 Like

Thanks @peterhuppertz, I just had a quick look and even with delivery taken into account they seem ok price wise.
I assume you’ve found them reliable?

2 Likes

Yessir! Put in five orders with them so far. Not a glitch.

2 Likes

I didn’t take a look, because I’m not in the UK, but now that I see it’s about Thomann:

The Thomann shop in Germany has a really good reputation so yes - I’d say they are reliable. I just ordered myself for the first time, but have a friend who ordered there often and it has been recommended to me more than once.

Since I knew about the reputation I was surprised to see the prices are also good or amazon just reacts faster to changes in the market. Because for the same DAI you’ll pay 30€ more on amazon right now.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, GAK IS EXCELLENT I bought two guitars and a piano from them. I’m in the process of buying a bass from them. I had a delivery problem, not GAK but DPD and they resolved my problem which meant them expressing a new guitar from the USA.
I cant rate them highly enough, great folk all musicians.

3 Likes

Thanks for info @juli0r and @Jamietashi.
I have some other choices to look at now that I know will be ok. Cheers

2 Likes

Just an update for those interested in what mail order shops in the UK provide good service.
I ordered last week a Fender LT25 bass amp from gear4music via an online purchase.
Amp arrived today exactly as promised, which was good. However they didn’t advertise that they were going to ship the EU model, which doesn’t come with a UK style plug.
So now I have to wait a day or so for a replacement lead to be sent out. This really should have been in the box.
Lesson learnt on my part to always check if equipment is the UK part number I guess, but since Fender make a model with its own part number specific to the UK for this amp, it’s fair to expect that’s what would have shipped?
I will still use gear4music again given everything else was fine.

3 Likes

@Mark_UK Bummer :sleepy:, don’t you have a spare cable lying around?
If I were closer. I’ve loads of them.
A well G4M ships fast it will more than likely be with you tomorrow. :guitar:

1 Like

It’s fine not really a problem to wait, just mention it in the context of the thread being about feedback on shops.

2 Likes

I don’t buy out of the UK if I can help it as I’ve had issues dealing with faulty goods in the past (not from a music store). I like these shops in the UK:

However, there are lots of good shops in the UK besides them. I tend to only use Amazon if it’s a LOT cheaper or I need it urgently and the alternatives aren’t Next Day. Try to support your local shops if you can (GAK is local to me).

Note: There are some non-UK music stores pretending to be in the UK with .co.uk addresses, but it takes a few days more to receive products from them.

3 Likes

I’ve used gear4music for some time and haven’t had any issues.
Also, PMT seem pretty good, but only ordered a few times.
GAK seem good
And then Andertons.

But If I’m after anything straightforward (cables, pedals etc) I’ll use Amazon too

2 Likes