Best Beginner Bass Amp (Group Review)

Looking for the best beginner bass amp that won’t break the bank? Look no further.

0:58 - Acoustic B15
2:13 - Eden EC10
3:12 - Ampeg BA-110
4:02 - Hartke HD75
5:40 - Fender Rumble 40
12:21 - And the winner is…

If you’ve been following me for a while, you might recognize this video from our beginner amp reviews page, but it never actually went public on Youtube. And even though it’s been a while, that Fender Rumble 40 is still a great amp. :slight_smile:

I know some people here have a Rumble amp, how are you liking it? Or do you have any of the other amps from this vid, and are you having a better experience with it than I did?

3 Likes

Yes indeed, @JoshFossgreen . . . started w/ the Rumble 25 and traded in for the 100

Both amps are great, but of course, the 100 has much more potential and capability.

Very happy with my decisions! . . . :+1:

All best, Joe

1 Like

I have the Rumble 40 and am happy with it, it’s enough to play in my condo and not upset my neighbors (at least not too much).

3 Likes

I have the Rumble 25. It’s the only amp I’ve ever owned, so I can’t comment much other than to say it works fine for my practicing in the den. I got it “almost new” from a guy on Craigslist and I paid a fraction of what it costs new.

2 Likes

Still loving my Rumble 25 for an apartment amp.

2 Likes

I’m using a Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 Amp that’s been great for practicing bass at home - I discovered that Gear drops in price substantially from new retail prices, and you can find some good stuff on Craigslist, and put yourself in a higher price range by going used. I think my amp is trying to be all things for all situations though - it’s a modelling amp, has tons of effects pedals, amp types, and other things it mimics, as well as working for bass as well as guitar.

In the forums here, I see talk of bass heads, cabs, combos, and more. Is there a video or any lessons breaking all this down? I wanted to find something (maybe a Rumble 100 fits this?) that’s higher up than a beginner amp. I live in the woods, no neighbors nearby, and want something to crank up. And also be something I could take to jam sessions, once I get good enough - gotta hit those B2B lessons some more :wink: So the combination of being loud, but clean sound, somewhat portable, built decently, etc. would be great. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

The Rumble 100 would check all your boxes, @Vik . . . :slight_smile:

Loud
Clean
VERY portable
Practice
Small gigs

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Hey Vik, those are all great questions, and I don’t have any videos addressing them so far!

For the most part, separate head + cab arrangements are more intended for pro-level gear, combos are generally geared more towards beginner use. Not always though.

If I were you, I’d try some amps out at a music store and see what you like! Different amps have different sounds, and there isn’t one brand/model that’s the “right” one, especially beyond the beginner price range.

4 Likes

Thanks Josh, Went out and bought me the Fender (Rumble 40 version 3) on your recommendation. Agree it is super light, but with a great sound. Now working on improving the input coming from my fingers… still very much learning!

4 Likes