Best budget friendly short scale bass

What is your budget? That will narrow the choices

2 Likes

What have you tried so far. More importantly, what is your expectations. I have not tried many short scales but the few I tried are gold from cheap mid and premiums.

1 Like

My budget is 1000$

I’ve tried a hollow body Ibanez and a Ibanez mezzo and some fender broncos and such. I’ve tried and Spector bantam also.

1 Like

There are quite a few Sire fans on this forum and their short scale is probably the best value for money around IMHO

3 Likes

Check out the mother of all short scale threads:

3 Likes

Sure U5 is great. Sterling SS is awesome and the Squier classic vibe mustang is also awesome, it sounds just as cool as the American performer.

1 Like

I have played a few short scales (and own a few).

I have not owned the first one, but I have owned Sire; the necks are fantastic, the quality is great, they sound great and play great

They can be hard to find. This is a picture of a used one at GC for $479. Won’t last long.

The next one I do own.

Squire Paranormal Rascal HH

This bass is just a great bass. Punches way above it’s weight. The quality is as good as any Sire I have owned, and some Fenders. It plays great. It sounds great. This is one of the best bass values out there. The tone on the bridge pickup is fantastic… This is one of the few basses which I have found nothing to change on except strings.

Can’t go wrong with a Rascal or U5. They are comparable in quality. Good instruments, two of the best short scales out there. Both between 450-525 USD

The last one I will mention is just outside your budget at $1100, is an Ibanez EHB1000S.

Ibanez

Ibanez  2

I have a similar Ibanez in a 5 string. The neck is the easiest one to play I have of all my basses. it has a classic two humbucker setup, 3 way EQ with variable mid sweep.

It also comes with nice features like stainless steel frets and Schaller strap locks, and comes with a gig bag. Roasted maple neck too. The 5 string is super comfortable to play, I can’t imagine the 4 string would be any different. This is a better bass than the other two, but just outside the price range.

2 Likes

Sire U5 :wink:

2 Likes

I have this Mustang, and it sounds great, especially with Curtis Novack pickups and a tonestyler. May be my best sounding bass.

I didn’t mention it because the frets are a touch pokey. Not noticeable when you play, but you can feel it when running your hand down the neck. Not bad really, but it is there.

I have a Player Mustang at $850, I would recommend the Squire over it.

Never played the Sterling so offer no opinion

This is my 5 string

Same as the 4, except it’s 5 string and multi fret. I imagine the 4 string version would easier to play, and this is super easy. One of my two best basses.

1 Like

That what I typed Sure. Lol

2 Likes

The rascal sire doesn’t suck, and it looks so yummy.

2 Likes

I basically have 4 basses I want to play and do my “one bass b2b” challenge. My Mustang with the Novacks, my EHB, my Rascal, and my Tele Bass. They all sound great, Mustang the best sound, Rascal is so sweet to play, EHB is the most comfortable, and the Fender is basically a P, with all its pros and cons. I am struggling to choose and stick with one bass for the challenge. Truly.

1 Like

I can vouch for the Sire U5; it is of extremely high quality and plays like a hot rod. The Sterling short scale is a badass shortie; mine feels and plays amazing; and has the classic StingRay sound.

2 Likes

Absolutely also feels better and thumpier because of the deeper tone.

3 Likes

Never played a U5, can vouch for Sire in general though, had an M2 though (I wish I’d never sold!), love the V3 I just got last week, absolutely will not be selling! build quality is great, sound awesome, rolled fret edges are super comfortable, great basses for their price :+1:

2 Likes

I agree, except that in my experience, Sires are great basses at far beyond their price points. Superb materials, workmanship and playability.

1 Like

I really want a tobacco sunburst V7 next probably,that finish is SO nice!

2 Likes

thank you sir :+1:

2 Likes

some great suggestions here, also my main bass for years was the sterling ball music man version of their short scale, which is in your budget range. I recently traded up to the Ernie Ball version.

edit: woops, Al and Mike also talked about the sterling above. anyways, I concur :rofl:

2 Likes