Best of 2022

It would have been hard to know about Toast Machine unless you were living in Petaluma. We would play around - Santa Rosa, Sonoma, Novato, even San Francisco.
No one.
Petaluma? 500 kids rocking out with us.
So amazing, so weird.

True wisdom… and something that I have repeated throughout my life with random strangers, music heroes, my kids, … basically everyone I talk to.

This is it.
The weirdest way to start a relationship!
“Hey, you don’t know me, but for years and years you have played an absolutely critical and important role in my life and I love you and think you’re amazing… so, can we be friends now?”

That never works!
Whenever I was at the merch table after the show and people would come up and have nice things to say, I would turn the conversation - as quickly as possible - to things they liked or that I liked. “Where’s the best espresso? What books do you like? Best lunch spots?” All of a sudden you’re two humans again, instead of the weird, super uneven discomfort of fandom.

I leave this mystery to you all to uncover.
Reid Anderson, David King, Ethan Iverson were the members.
He signed in the piece of toast. Looks like initials? Difficult to call.

4 Likes

This was exactly it for me when I got my one chance to hang out backstage with Peter Hook and Rob Gretton. Luckily it was before Hooky had sobered up so at least we had something in common :rofl:

2 Likes