Best Quiet Practice Options

Hey,

So Have an amp, and listen to the lessons on the computer. I know I can plug headphones into the amp that way, but was wondering what some of the best options might be for listening to my bass while doing the lesson. I imagine that might require a mixer of some type? Also, any recommendations on these little plug amp/headphone deals where you plug a thing into your bass and then headphones into the thing? I had one, but it was crap and didnt work well at all. Thanks for the help, and sorry if someone has asked this before…

The Baron

3 Likes

Hi @The_Baron,

there should be some other threads in here that cover that topic (or very related topics). Anyhoo, you need a USB audio interface for your computer, such as, e.g., the Roland Rubix22 (probably around USD 150) and a program such as GarageBand (on the Mac) or a similar one on a PC. Then, you plug in your bass to the interface and play it through GarageBand (where you can model your sound, for example, or record what you play etc.), and you can also hear whatever audio file you play on your computer (Josh’s lessons, YouTube videos, whatever music files you might have on your computer, and so on). And, of course, you listen to all that (bass and all) via your headphones, which you also connect to the Rubix (or similar interface).
Hope this helps!? Good luck!

1 Like

Yep that’s one good option (it’s what I currently do). I’m actually surprised how much I like my DAI now that I have one.

However there’s a few cheaper paths that work fine if all you need is to hear the computer while practicing with phones.

@The_Baron , first, see if your amp has an Aux In jack. If it does, then you can take the Line Out from your computer and run it in to the amp’s Aux In, and then use headphones with the amp. This will require buying a cable. Be careful playing with volume while doing this.

Another option is something like a Vox AmPlug2 Bass - it’s a headphone preamp that plugs right in to your bass for quiet practice. They have Aux In jacks to run the computer in to like I just mentioned, and unlike the one it sounds like you had, the Vox is actually good.

If you don’t mind spending the money now though, there is a lot of advantage with going with what @joergkutter suggested, because eventually you will want to record yourself, and it is the best way. I recently bought a Zoom U-24 DAI and I am completely happy with it. Relatively inexpensive, good quality, and lots of features. The U-22 looks good too if you know you will never need more than one in and don’t care about MIDI.

2 Likes

As a cheap solution I watch the lessons on Chrome on an iPad and use a single bluetooth earbud in my right ear to listen to the lesson. Then I use over-the-ear headphones (Sony, I think) connected to the amp to listen to the bass. Wearing the earbud UNDER the headphone. Works just peachy.

3 Likes

I have yet to try headphones with my amp. I do have a dedicated music room to listen to loud music. It’s soundproofed so it doesn’t bother anyone. Besides, it’s only my wife and I and she’s usually working when I’m practicing.

1 Like

Hail The Baron!
This depends on what kind of computer you have, and if you have a device or interface to plug your bass into the computer?
What’s the music technology scene like over there?
I can add recommendations based on what you have.

Gio

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations all. I tried headphones with the computer, one bud in, and that worked pretty well. Kinda of fun to get the resonance from the video and the bass. I’ll try the 2 headphones solution as well.

Hey Gio, i currently have an older mac book pro. It does have garage band on it, so I suppose i could up my tech game.

Anyway, thanks again all. So far so good on the lessons.

3 Likes

@The_Baron - Hooray for Macs! Yes - if you invest in a simple audio interface to plug your bass into your computer, you won’t be disappointed! That way you can have the headphones into the computer, and hear the bass, and have the bass volume very mixable to sit with whatever you’re listening to.
Having Garage Band gives you the added benefit of all of the amplifier/pedal/other-bass-sound options when you’re using it. Add in the built in drum loops inside Garage band, the ability to record… it’s the best practice tool you could ask for, in my book.

As far as affordable audio interfaces - I’m not the best with these basic ones, but I have a buddy who very much liked this model: The Behringer U-Phoria 2x2. It’s very affordable, and gets your bass talking to Garage Band (with the option for microphones as well)

3 Likes